From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of asychis@...
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 8:52 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Soundtraxx LC series again

Well I have solved my lighting issues, and have everything working the way it needs to on two LifeLike PAs.  One remaining problem.  The sound does not work on one locomotive.  The wiring, capacitor and speaker are  identical to the first locomotive.  Is there a way to test the green/brown leads to test to tell if there is a signal going tot he speaker when the sound, such as the bell is turned on?

 I am guessing that the audio portion of the decoder is blown, but would like to confirm that.  I have changed out the speaker with the same result. Will you damage the decoder or speaker by leaving the capacitor out?  I have not done this, but perhaps the cap is bad?

Thanks,

Jerry Michels

asychis@...

Jerry, that is a 'bipolar' electrolytic capacitor; meaning it has no
specific + or - lead.

If you want to use a replacement to test the original, get two electrolytics
of twice the capacitance of the original and wire them in series, that is, +
to +, or, - to -.

Voltage rating of the new caps can be the same or higher.

Paul O
Thanks Paul.  I will give that a try, but isn't + to + and - to - parallel wiring? I thought series wiring would be + to - to + to -

Jerry Michels

Paul O

Jerry, NO, I said plus to plus OR minus to minus.

You want both eletorlytics in SERIES with OPPOSITE POLARITY.

Ex:  DECODER -à+CAP-à-CAP+àSPKRàDECODER

Paul O

Jerry, that is a 'bipolar' electrolytic capacitor; meaning it has no
specific + or - lead.

If you want to use a replacement to test the original, get two electrolytics
of twice the capacitance of the original and wire them in series, that is, +
to +, or, - to -.

Voltage rating of the new caps can be the same or higher.

Paul O

Thanks Paul.  I will give that a try, but isn't + to + and - to - parallel wiring? I thought series wiring would be + to - to + to -

Jerry Michels

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

Jerry,

It’s NOT + to + AND – to – (which would be connected in parallel). It is + to +  OR – to - then connect each of the other ends as if it is a single capacitor component into the circuit. Note that no matter which way the current flows one of the polarized capacitors will see the correct voltage polarity. Hence the term… non-polarized capacitor. When AC voltage and current is applied eventually each capacitor will end up charging and holding some DC voltage and acting as two capacitors in series. This why each capacitor needs 2X the capacitance to yield the desired value. 1/Ctotal = 1/C1 + 1/C2

DonV