Topics

HO Double X-Overs

George Galyon

Our club has two older Shinohara C100  #6 double crossovers with the metal throw bar and metal pivot ba plus insulfrogs.  We have some newer Shinohara C100 #6 double x-overs with the single metal throw bar and insulfrogs and we have a Walthers C83#6  DCC friendly double x-over with electrofrogs on the 4 turnouts and insulfrogs on the diamonds.

The C100s look like the point-stock rail gaps might still be a problem with wheels shorting and the C83 looks like it might not short out but older engines may "bottom out" due to larger flanges.  Any experience with these x-overs?   Walthers says there are no plans for either Shinohara or Walthers to make truly DCC friendly code 100 double x-overs.  And we don't want to buy all the Fast Track equipment necessary to custom build DCC friendly C100 #6 (or #8) x-overs.

Thanks for any advice.
George T. Galyon
Olde Newburgh Model RR Club
Walden, New York

Bill Wilken

I attempted to install two different Shinohara double crossovers, but abandoned them after encountering two problems.  First, my long wheelbase 4-8-4 locomotives didn't like the tight #6 configuration:  too much non-prototypical "jitterbugging" when crossing over.   Second, I learned the hard way that they must be installed perfectly level in all planes to avoid embarrassing power interruptions, especially to steam locomotives.

On 01/09/2014 04:55 PM, Redvdub1@... wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bill for that advice.  Our club Shinohara double x-overs work fairly well but do have stop and go problems with some locos and they are not technically DCC friendly.  I am going to follow up on your comment about "leveling" and check our doubles tomorrow for planarity.

Bill Wilken

What's really "fun" is installing four Tortoise switch machines underneath one of these beasts.  I finally resorted to bunches of #10 turnouts to achieve the same effect functionally.

On 01/12/2014 02:46 PM, Redvdub1@... wrote:

Thanks Bill for that advice.  Our club Shinohara double x-overs work fairly well but do have stop and go problems with some locos and they are not technically DCC friendly.  I am going to follow up on your comment about "leveling" and check our doubles tomorrow for planarity.

Gregory Latiak

If using the Tortoise remote operator it is possible to use two motors to operate the complete double crossover. Each remote has two flexible connectors -- the tricky part is setting them up so the throwbars move in opposite directions. And acceptance that the cross-over really has two states -- straight thru and crossed, so for all intents it is really just a very messy simple turnout. So both motors are driven from the same DS64 port.

Greg Latiak