Topics

Older Lifelike to DCC

Paul O

Mike, I uploaded a drawing of the light boards from my Lifelike/Walthers PA/PB units. These were the newer units so I don’t know if they are close to what you have or not,  but maybe it’ll help. The dual filament bulb is to simulate a MARS light.

In the FILES section; ALCO PA & PB Wiring Diag.bmp

Paul O

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of azMikeG@...
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:52 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: RE: RE: RE: [WiringForDCC] Plder Lifelike to DCC

O.K., Now I am puzzeled. There are two headlights, an upper and a lower headlight. The lower is no problem - two leads. However, the upper headlight has three leads coming out of it. They went all the way back to the circuit board, which I have removed. I removed most of the components on the top of the circuit board before I discovered the three lead headlight. Does anyone have a schematic of the wiring? I can make guesses as to what it was for, but I would like to have some idea for sure before I proceed.

I measured between the three leads in all the combinations and came out that between any two leads, with any polarity there is about 35 ohms, cold.

Thanks,

Mike G.

---In WiringForDCC@..., <wiringfordcc@...> wrote:

I was comparing my engine to the example on the website. Mine has a newer(?) circuit board in it, or at least it has a few more components on it. The loco itself has two headlights, so there a set of 3 white wires (one per headlight, and a common).

There are still two screws that hold the circuit board in place, but one of them also holds what I believe to be a voltage regulator, in place as well.

(picture available if requested)

I just want verification, that if I use a different decoder from TCS that the same wiring for the decoder plug is valid.

Mike,

Does this example from the TCS web site help you?

http://tinyurl.com/njxzpt6

Ross

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto: WiringForDCC@... ] On Behalf Of azMikeG@...
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 7:47 PM
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Older Lifelike to DCC

I have an older Lifelike / Proto 2000  E-8a in MKT red livery and is DC. It is full of a large weight and has a circuit board in it. The front headlight hooks up to the circuit board. Not much room for a decoder. Is there a prodedure documented somewhere? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike G.

emrldsky

Thanks Paul,

You were probably looking at my earlier post about a PA that I was converting. This is a different engine - an E8. The boards do not look at all alike.. The one in the E8 does not have terminals like the one you posted. The wires are soldered into the board at various places.

Peace,

Mike G.

Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:52 AM
Subject: RE: RE: RE: [WiringForDCC] Plder Lifelike to DCC

O.K., Now I am puzzeled. There are two headlights, an upper and a lower headlight. The lower is no problem - two leads. However, the upper headlight has three leads coming out of it. They went all the way back to the circuit board, which I have removed. I removed most of the components on the top of the circuit board before I discovered the three lead headlight. Does anyone have a schematic of the wiring? I can make guesses as to what it was for, but I would like to have some idea for sure before I proceed.

I measured between the three leads in all the combinations and came out that between any two leads, with any polarity there is about 35 ohms, cold.

Thanks,

Mike G.

I was comparing my engine to the example on the website. Mine has a newer(?) circuit board in it, or at least it has a few more components on it. The loco itself has two headlights, so there a set of 3 white wires (one per headlight, and a common).

There are still two screws that hold the circuit board in place, but one of them also holds what I believe to be a voltage regulator, in place as well.

(picture available if requested)

I just want verification, that if I use a different decoder from TCS that the same wiring for the decoder plug is valid.

Mike,

Does this example from the TCS web site help you?

http://tinyurl.com/njxzpt6

Ross

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto: WiringForDCC@... ] On Behalf Of azMikeG@...
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 7:47 PM
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Older Lifelike to DCC

I have an older Lifelike / Proto 2000  E-8a in MKT red livery and is DC. It is full of a large weight and has a circuit board in it. The front headlight hooks up to the circuit board. Not much room for a decoder. Is there a prodedure documented somewhere? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike G.

Paul O

OK Mike, it was just a wild shot.

For the headlight with the dual filament, what I did was use a four-function decoder (TCS TH141) and wired each filament to a separate output. I don’t remember just how I set up the functions, but it was to simulate a MARS light.

You’ll have to experiment to find out which wire is the common on that bulb, and wire it to the blue lead.

Good luck,

Paul O

Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:22 AM
Subject: RE: RE: RE: RE: [WiringForDCC] Older Lifelike to DCC

Thanks Paul,

You were probably looking at my earlier post about a PA that I was converting. This is a different engine - an E8. The boards do not look at all alike.. The one in the E8 does not have terminals like the one you posted. The wires are soldered into the board at various places.

Peace,

Mike G.