Topics

Something a Little Different

Glenn

This is probably way off the DCC topic.

Can a DCC auto reverser be use on a DC track to change the direction of a
trolley?

I know there are such animals out there, but try finding one in this DCC
world. I have tried searching the web, but always seem to come back to DCC
products.

Logic tells me that if I wire one end (R) stopping section opposite of the
main (M) track the auto reverse module will reverse the polarity of the
main. My problem is how to wire the stopping section on the other (L) end.

My logic brain says it should be opposite the R end. The main track should
be the one that changes polarity.

Like this:

L M R Tripped> L M R
- - + - + +
+ + - + - -

Glenn

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

The simple answer is No as the DCC auto-reversers operate from the fixed DCC voltage and short circuit amps of the track bus. The typical adjustable DC supply for the trolley won't work.

If you are talking about a single main track with a balloon loop at each end, then yes it is the main line and the turnouts at each end that need to reverse in polarity to have a DC trolley run the other direction. An opto-detector at each end and a latching relay can be used to change the track polarity and flip the turnouts just as the trolley approaches the exit end of the constant polarity loops. Need a 4PDT relay or 2 relays... one to control main track direction, the second to throw both turnout motors so that the trolley always enters and exits the end loops in the same direction. There are other gadgets you can purchase to do just that. Google it to see what is out there.

Can a DCC auto reverser be use on a DC track to change the direction of a trolley?

I know there are such animals out there, but try finding one in this DCC world. I have tried searching the web, but always seem to come back to DCC products.

Logic tells me that if I wire one end (R) stopping section opposite of the main (M) track the auto reverse module will reverse the polarity of the main. My problem is how to wire the stopping section on the other (L) end.

My logic brain says it should be opposite the R end. The main track should be the one that changes polarity.

Like this:

L M R Tripped> L M R
- - + - + +
+ + - + - -

Glenn

Flash Gordon

Glen,

I do not think it will work. DCC runs with AC not DC ..... the DC in DCC does not stand for DC. Is that complicated to say or what.

Ed S

At 03:54 PM 4/15/2013, you wrote:

This is probably way off the DCC topic.

Can a DCC auto reverser be use on a DC track to change the direction of a
trolley?

I know there are such animals out there, but try finding one in this DCC
world. I have tried searching the web, but always seem to come back to DCC
products.

Logic tells me that if I wire one end (R) stopping section opposite of the
main (M) track the auto reverse module will reverse the polarity of the
main. My problem is how to wire the stopping section on the other (L) end.

My logic brain says it should be opposite the R end. The main track should
be the one that changes polarity.

Like this:

L M R Tripped> L M R
- - + - + +
+ + - + - -

Glenn

Al Silverstein <silversteina@...>

Glen,

You might want to check out the Circuitron AR-1 and AR-2 Automatic Reversing Circuits. I have seen these used where a DC trolley moves back and forth between two points on a trolley line on layouts were the trains are running on DCC on the railroad tracks. .

Al Silverstein

Can a DCC auto reverser be use on a DC track to change the direction of a
trolley?

I know there are such animals out there, but try finding one in this DCC
world. I have tried searching the web, but always seem to come back to DCC
products.

Logic tells me that if I wire one end (R) stopping section opposite of the
main (M) track the auto reverse module will reverse the polarity of the
main. My problem is how to wire the stopping section on the other (L) end.

My logic brain says it should be opposite the R end. The main track should
be the one that changes polarity.

Like this:

L M R Tripped> L M R
- - + - + +
+ + - + - -

Glenn

wirefordcc

Glenn,

If your goal is to have a trolley stop at two end points, wait a while, than
reverse, see my cubicle train at:

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/cubicle_main.htm

It only works with a DC trolley (not a DCC) one.

The whole thing works without sensors and works with only two wires to the
track.

Allan

Wiring For DCC

Can a DCC auto reverser be use on a DC track to change the direction of a
trolley?

I know there are such animals out there, but try finding one in this DCC
world. I have tried searching the web, but always seem to come back to DCC
products.

Logic tells me that if I wire one end (R) stopping section opposite of the
main (M) track the auto reverse module will reverse the polarity of the
main. My problem is how to wire the stopping section on the other (L) end.

My logic brain says it should be opposite the R end. The main track should
be the one that changes polarity.

Like this:

L M R Tripped> L M R
- - + - + +
+ + - + - -

Glenn

Glenn

Thanks to all for your inputs.

It will work, I tried an experiment, but it failed some what. The trolley
runs like a jack rabbit doing wheelies in one direction.

The pack I was using was a cheapie, so I had little control over the voltage
input. But I think lowering the input from a transistorized pack will slow
down the trolley without affecting the performance of the AR. My experience
with IC circuitry tells me most IC's operate on about 5vdc. The 12V input of
DCC AR's is probably just DCC default.

Thank you Alan for the Cubicle Circuit, I may just have a similar one on a
bread board in my electronics Junk Box.

Glenn