From: Eric <ezrails@...<mailto:ezrails@...>>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 18:47:20 +0000
To: <WiringForDCC@...<mailto:WiringForDCC@...>>
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Magnetic Reed Switches

I would like to use reed switches to control battery powered LEDs in my passenger cars. I need some help understanding what type on switches to buy and just how they work using an external magnet. Help greatly appreciated.

RicZ

Paul O

Ric, a couple more sites:

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/howreedswitcheswork.html

http://www.reed-sensor.com/Notes/

Just do a Google search on "reed switches".

Paul O

I would like to use reed switches to control battery powered LEDs in my
passenger cars. I need some help understanding what type on switches to buy
and just how they work using an external magnet. Help greatly appreciated.

RicZ

Thomas

Eric
You might find this article by Dave Bodnar interesting.
http://trainelectronics.com/LED_Articles_2007/LEDs_for_Coaches/index.htm
Part way down the page he talks about reed switches.
Tom

________________________________
I would like to use reed switches to control battery powered LEDs in my passenger cars.

Eric

Thanks Kevin and Paul,
How would I set up the reed switch to turn on the LEDs by passing a magnet over the car, and then turning them off by passing the magnet over the car a second time? I plan to use 3v coin cell batteries to power a couple of LEDs, but I need to be able to turn them off when the session is complete.

RicZ

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "Paul O" <pomilian@...> wrote:

Ric, a couple more sites:

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/howreedswitcheswork.html

http://www.reed-sensor.com/Notes/

Just do a Google search on "reed switches".

Paul O

I would like to use reed switches to control battery powered LEDs in my
passenger cars. I need some help understanding what type on switches to buy
and just how they work using an external magnet. Help greatly appreciated.

RicZ

Kenneth Burr

When selecting a reed switch make sure that it is the latching type, or else you will need to keep the magnet near by in order to keep the switch either in the on position or off position, otherwise the reed switch will revert back to the previous state as soon as the magnet is removed.  While I have been able to find such switches in the past, I have not been able to find a current source for such switches.  As a result I am using latching sold state hall effect sensors in place of reed switches.  These sensors latch on when one pole of the magnet is brought near them, and then stay on even after the magnet is removed.  To turn the hall effect sensor off, then the other pole of the magnet is brought near the sensor, and the sensor will then stay off until such time later as the other pole of the magnet is brought near the sensor.
Ken Burr

________________________________

I would like to use reed switches to control battery powered LEDs in my
passenger cars. I need some help understanding what type on switches to buy
and just how they work using an external magnet. Help greatly appreciated.

RicZ

Flash Gordon

RicZ,

The reed switch does not work that way. You would have to leave the magnet in place to turn them off. So you would need a Normally Closed Reed Switch (NC).

I am thinking about putting AAA rechargeable batteries in the car, with contacts out the bottom that would brush along a 4th and 5th rail under the car when it is in a terminal to pick up passengers. This would recharge the batteries with no human intervention. Also cool that the lights would stay on when you shut down the layout until the batteries discharged. In operation some cars may be on some off as in a real passenger train.

Ed S

At 06:45 PM 4/15/2013, you wrote:

Thanks Kevin and Paul,
How would I set up the reed switch to turn on the LEDs by passing a magnet over the car, and then turning them off by passing the magnet over the car a second time? I plan to use 3v coin cell batteries to power a couple of LEDs, but I need to be able to turn them off when the session is complete.

RicZ

Scott H. Haycock

Ed,
Isn't RickZ's idea the way Rapido passenger car lighting works?

Scott Haycock
Modeling Tarheel country in the Land of Enchantm ent

The reed switch does not work that way. You would have to leave the
magnet in place to turn them off. So you would need a Normally Closed
Reed Switch (NC).

Ed S

Flash Gordon

Scott,

I am not familiar with Rapido cars.... how do they work?

Ed S

They work by waving a magnetic wand over the roof of the car to turn the battery powered lights on and off. Se: http://www.rapidotrains.com/light_ho.html