Topics

Turn ON delay relay

Dale Gloer

I need a device that can delay the Turn On of a power supply for a second or so after power is applied to other related and connected components.

I have searched for a relay that would accomplish this but have not found anything suitable, either not the correct function or the cost is prohibitive.

Ideally the input to the device would be about 18 volts AC but other common voltages, like 12vdc or 120 vac, would be acceptable.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Dale Gloer

Mark Gurries

I found this on line using google on the key words "AC delay Timer"

http://www.omega.com/pptst/TD-69.html

The TD69 is what you want. However its minimum time is 6 seconds.

The power supply must not draw more than 100Watts from the AC
line which is fine for most power supplies used with layouts.

On 1/26/12 at 7:29 AM, @selkirk5934 (dale_gloer) wrote:
I need a device that can delay the Turn On of a power supply
for a second or so after power is applied to other related and
connected components.

I have searched for a relay that would accomplish this but have
not found anything suitable, either not the correct function or
the cost is prohibitive.

Ideally the input to the device would be about 18 volts AC but
other common voltages, like 12vdc or 120 vac, would be acceptable.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Dale Gloer

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Electrical Engineer

Max Maginness

Perhaps you can state the reason you want to delay one supply, and what are
the related and connected components. That might make a method more
apparent.

Max

I need a device that can delay the Turn On of a power supply for a second or
so after power is applied to other related and connected components.

I have searched for a relay that would accomplish this but have not found
anything suitable, either not the correct function or the cost is
prohibitive.

Ideally the input to the device would be about 18 volts AC but other common
voltages, like 12vdc or 120 vac, would be acceptable.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Dale Gloer

_____

No virus found in this message.

aaronmorley@y7mail.com

On 1/26/12 at 7:29 AM, dale.gloer@... (dale_gloer) wrote:
I need a device that can delay the Turn On of a power supply
for a second or so after power is applied to other related and
connected components.

I have searched for a relay that would accomplish this but have
not found anything suitable, either not the correct function or
the cost is prohibitive.

Ideally the input to the device would be about 18 volts AC but
other common voltages, like 12vdc or 120 vac, would be acceptable.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Dale Gloer

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Electrical Engineer

Use a transistor as the switch, bridge rectify the AC and pick an appropriate RC network to delay transistor turn on as required.

Dale Gloer

Max,

I need to delay the turn on of power to a Digitrax booster until the the Loconet signal is "GOOD". My command station, DCS200, and booster, DCS200 set to booster mode, are both fed from the same power source. I want to delay the power to the booster for a few seconds while the command station starts up. The switching device needs to handle 18 VAC at up to 8 amps.

Dale Gleor

--- In WiringForDCC@..., " Max Maginness" <m.maginness@...> wrote:

Perhaps you can state the reason you want to delay one supply, and what are
the related and connected components. That might make a method more
apparent.

Max

I need a device that can delay the Turn On of a power supply for a second or
so after power is applied to other related and connected components.

I have searched for a relay that would accomplish this but have not found
anything suitable, either not the correct function or the cost is
prohibitive.

Ideally the input to the device would be about 18 volts AC but other common
voltages, like 12vdc or 120 vac, would be acceptable.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Dale Gloer

_____

No virus found in this message.

JB

Two switches labeled 1 and 2.
JB

-- Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
-- Red Green

Dale Gloer

I guess I didn't make myself clear. Both DCS200s are fed by splits from a single transformer!

Also this is a large club layout so two switches, even if that was a solution, is less than ideal.

Dale Gloer

--- In WiringForDCC@..., JB <rideyam2@...> wrote:

Two switches labeled 1 and 2.
JB

-- Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
-- Red Green

Carl

Hi Dale:

Fix up a small cabinet. Opening the door closes switch #1 so it powers
up the main transformer before you can reach switch #2 for the second
DCS 200. If you need more delay put a beer in front of switch #2.

Also if switch #1 were two pole, the second pole could feed switch #2 so
if switch #2 were thrown first nothing would happen.

PS: I have used relay timers on 2 converter for 1 phase to 3 phase. The
timer blocks the 3 phase output until the rotary inverter is up to
speed. They worked fine, well until the first burned up in the Woodland
Scenics fire.

Good luck, Carl.

richg_1998 <richg_1998@...>

--- In WiringForDCC@..., Carl <carl.blum@...> wrote:

Hi Dale:

Fix up a small cabinet. Opening the door closes switch #1 so it powers
up the main transformer before you can reach switch #2 for the second
DCS 200. If you need more delay put a beer in front of switch #2.

Also if switch #1 were two pole, the second pole could feed switch #2 so
if switch #2 were thrown first nothing would happen.

PS: I have used relay timers on 2 converter for 1 phase to 3 phase. The
timer blocks the 3 phase output until the rotary inverter is up to
speed. They worked fine, well until the first burned up in the Woodland
Scenics fire.

Good luck, Carl.

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

Dale, If you are contemplating switching 18Vac to a booster it doesn't need to meet all the UL/NEC agency requirements so you should be able to d-i-y. Find a suitable 10-20amp rated relay with a 12Vdc coil. (think automotive) Add a 1A, 100-200V bridge rectifier to the incoming 18Vac to power the coil. Determine relay coil resistance ohms. Calculate a series resistor value that will end up with ~12Vdc across the relay coil when starting from ~15Vdc. Then add a big value 25V rated electrolytic cap directly across the relay coil as a simple RC time delay to pick up the relay. Use the relay contacts to route delayed power to your time delayed apparatus. There are many more sophisticated ways to do it, but all require more design value considerations and parts. Purchasing anything UL rated for 115Vac operation means mucho $$.