Topics

DCC Equipped Engine Hum

letsattempt1 <letsattempt1@...>

My Bachmann Diesel came equipped with a DCC encoder. The loco makes a
humming sound on initial throttle up. Is this a power/wiring issue??

Mark Gurries

My Bachmann Diesel came equipped with a DCC encoder. The loco makes a
humming sound on initial throttle up. Is this a power/wiring issue??
It is normal. Inexpensive DCC decoders will use a motor drive
technology that involves low audible frequencies being applied to the
motor to get it to run at slow speeds. Think Pulse Power from the DC
throttles.

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Linear Technology
Power Supply & Battery Charger Applications Engineer/Manager
Model Railroad Club and NMRA DCC presentations are at:
http://www.siliconvalleylines.com/index.html
Audio Enthusiast (Love SAE equipment)
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/gurriesm/