Topics

I am going Nutz with decoders ???

hawkhawk22

Hey all, I am totally going crazy with programing these decoders. I
at first got it to work perfectly with the 4-8-8-4 then all of a suden
when i went to check the codes ( by the way I am using a Lenz LH100 )
on the loco, and then make sure that I didnt do anyting wrong with it,
I set it on a test (operational track) it runs and runs, cant change
anyting cant stop it without hitting the emergency stop button so the
track will go dead.

I just dont get it. let me ask just in case. Will anyting effect the
decoders operation? like Cell Phones? TV? or anyting else IF they
were close to the Programing, and operation track??

HELP befor I shoot myself LOL
Ray

Marcus Ammann

Hi Ray

A decoder will operate a loco using the default values that the decoder
comes with from the manufacturers.

Install the loco and place the loco on the Program Track and check to see if
it can read CVs. If it can, then wiring to the decoder is correct.

You only have to change the address from the default short address of 3 to a
suitable address, usually road number with 4 digit addressing.

If you are having problems with the decoders in any loco, that happens
sometimes, do a RESET of the decoder according to the instructions and
remember when you go to run it after resetting, you will have to address the
loco by the default 2 digit address of "3"

Get everything back to default values and have fun fine tuning your decoder.
Remember, depending on what system you use and how it is done, you may have
to adjust CV29 also. See your decoder and system manuals.

Hope you get them back to normal soon. If not, post again and tell us
exactly what is happening.

Nothing should interfere with programming the decoder, like cell phones, TV
etc.

Marcus

Hey all, I am totally going crazy with programing these decoders. I
at first got it to work perfectly with the 4-8-8-4 then all of a suden
when i went to check the codes ( by the way I am using a Lenz LH100 )
on the loco, and then make sure that I didnt do anyting wrong with it,
I set it on a test (operational track) it runs and runs, cant change
anyting cant stop it without hitting the emergency stop button so the
track will go dead.

I just dont get it. let me ask just in case. Will anyting effect the
decoders operation? like Cell Phones? TV? or anyting else IF they
were close to the Programing, and operation track??

HELP befor I shoot myself LOL
Ray

http://www.WiringForDCC.com
Yahoo! Groups Links

John Churchward <jcebay@...>

Hi
Have you got the same number of throttle steps set in the decoder as
well as the hand set ie 128steps for the loco and 128 steps for the hand
set....john

Hey all, I am totally going crazy with programing these decoders. I
at first got it to work perfectly with the 4-8-8-4 then all of a suden
when i went to check the codes ( by the way I am using a Lenz LH100 )
on the loco, and then make sure that I didnt do anyting wrong with it,
I set it on a test (operational track) it runs and runs, cant change
anyting cant stop it without hitting the emergency stop button so the
track will go dead.

I just dont get it. let me ask just in case. Will anyting effect the
decoders operation? like Cell Phones? TV? or anyting else IF they
were close to the Programing, and operation track??

HELP befor I shoot myself LOL
Ray

http://www.WiringForDCC.com
Yahoo! Groups Links

hawkhawk22

Marcus,

Thanks for the info. I went to see the CV 29 settings. and changed it
now it will not run with a conhtrol, so i re set it to the default
and it still runs by itself on the op track. so Ill try to expalin
to you more, so maybe you can help me more. LOL ( I feel like one
of those people who dont understand computers and have one tossed
into my lap, with a book to read to become a programer in 34 hours)
LOL

Anyways, here is the scoop on what I have. Ok As I said I have a
LH100 Lenz (I figured if I was going DCC to get the top of the line)
now, though I know it dont really make a diff with what engine it is
in, as long as I can actualy program , and read that the decoder is
ok, and I wired it correctly. so that is ok that way.

What I am using ( and I tried to read the manual for the decoder (it
is a NEC 13RSJ that I am tryinbg to use for this 4-8-8-4) now as I
said I tried to read it, it was talking bits and stuff. which I
guess that is for another DCC Station, but it has in a small section
about this.

Formula for computing the long address if using a Lenz SET01 or SET02:
If using a Lenz SET01, SET02, SET90, SET100 or other entry level
system, use paged programming
mode and see below for programming long addresses.
CV17 = 192 + (the whole number portion of the long address divided by
256)
CV18 = the remainder of the long address divided by 256
CV29 = 34 if analog mode disabled, 38 if analog mode enabled

To which I really get lost in the programing of the CV thingy. for
me there is no bits, its the CV bumber followed by a number. then
on the bottom row. Im guessing that it is the bit factor to get the
corect numbers to reach what I need. But I dont know.

Forgive me, but I am 45, and it seems like Im about 4 years old with
this stuff. I read and re read and re read, and just am
soooooooooooooooooooo lost. I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks in Advance
Ray

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "Marcus Ammann" <mammann@o...>
wrote:

[...]

01/03/2006

hawkhawk22

John,

Yes I do, took me a bit to do it, but yea. I do. As I posted to a
RE post, there is the info there of what im trying to do. and
confused I definatly am

Ray

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "John Churchward" <jcebay@n...>
wrote:

[...]

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

You guys are re-explaining why the NCE DCC command station is so easy to use!
All that binary bit --> hex byte --> partial decimal stuff is moot when the English word prompt on the hand-heald asks for 'Long Addr = ??' etc.
You don't even need the decoder manual to get it to run!

[...]

HI Ray
Have you gone back to the Programming Track (Not running track) and
done a reset followed by changing the loco address to something unique? If
the loco is on the Programming track it usually stutters a little after
receiving the commands? Does it do this?

[...]

Yes Sir, I went and reset it, as that was easy to do. and when I
read the ADD of the loco it was the default 0003, so I changed it to
the number of the Loco. which was 4013. it did shutter, I did hear
it like it as doing something. but here is the thing that happened 2
times.

When I went back to read the address of the decoder to make sure that
it was correct. it Jumped like about 1/2 inch backwards. then came
up with a weird number like 3256 or something like that. then I re
checked it then it finally said the correct number I programmed it to
be 4013.

Now I went to the CV number on the Lenz, checked it, to change some
numbers there. ( which apparently is the same as the binary in other
DCC systems ) and moved it to the main OP track. and tried to get
it to run, it didn't move at all. so I went back to the default
setting, and it just wants to run like its on a old Analog system
with the throttle almost full open.

That is where it confuses me to try to understand why. it also
happened to me when I used a Lenz decoder. everything is wired
correctly, track is separated from the program track. all leads are
correctly connected.

I even went so far as to reset the DCC control system to see if there
was a possible fault there too. but that didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks
Ray

Oh PS: yes I do understand that a Lenz is a simple system ( in
reflect to that other comment) but as I said, this don't seem to be
a normal thing. and I'm like a blind person walking down a rail, in
the dark.

wrote:

[...]

JOHN <jcebay@...>

hi
Is this just one locomotive that is causing a problem ie do you have
others that are working and this is just a rogue?

[...]

I went and wired a different loco up, programed it. and it seems to
be doing the same thing. i have several decoders all of the brand
D13SRJ, and i am using a Lenz LH100.

I hope that your not thinking of what I just though of, cause Lenz
will hear a nasty note from me LOL

Ray

--- In WiringForDCC@..., "JOHN" <jcebay@n...> wrote:

[...]

Either the Lenz LH100 is putting out DC and your loco decoders are taking off or the NCE decoders are faulty.
Time to
1) Measure track voltage with a Standard DC voltmeter...It should read zero volts. [The average of the DCC track voltage without any 'analog loco offset' is supposed to be zero. Else the LH100 is faulty.
2) Try some elses DCC equipt loco that is known to work. Dont re-program anything. If it too takes off or otherwise cannot run at its programmed address the LH100 is faulty. If it works, the LH100 is working properly
3) If someone elses loco works OK but you still can't get the NCE D13SRJs to work, either they are all faulty (unlikely) or you are doing something wrong in wiring or programming them.
4) Use a new D13. Just hook it up to track and a loco motor....skip the loco shell install. Don't change any CVs. It should work as loco short address 3 right out of the package.
5) Operator error...Re-read and follow all the instructions. Better yet, get someone local to give you a 'hands on' lesson. In the end, be sure to disable DC operation mode (CV29) to avoid false DC runnaways with the D13.