Topics

Help with DCC wiring of kato unitrack!

sugelle@sbcglobal.net <sugelle@...>

HELP!!! I am new to the hobby and I am currently building a dcc N
scale layout using KATO Unitrack. I am building the Manning Oaks
#4417 layout plan that I downloaded from KATOUSA.com under the section
for N scale layouts. The layout uses 6 left hand #6 swithces
(turnouts) as well as a double crossover. I read on this website the
articles on how to make the Unitrack #6 turnouts "DCC Friendly" by
removing the tab or wiper arm that powers the frogs and to do the same
with the Unitrack double crossover. I made theses modifications this
weekend but now I am totally confused on how to wire the layout??? I
already ran my bus wire under the layout but I have no clue on how and
where to properly wire the switches and double crossover as they
relate to the layout. Also, would it be O.K. to use the terminal
Unijoiners as feeders and solder the ends of them to the bus wires or
should I really solder feeders directly to the track? (My soldering
skills are weak). Since my skills and knowledge of the hobby are very
limited, please be specific as possible!

wirefordcc <wire4dcc_admin@...>

Whoops! I see that when I added the "How to wire this turnout"
feature to my website, I missed the Kato turnouts. Sorry about that.

I just updated the website. You should find the information you seek
there now. Go to http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_kato.htm

I strongly recommend soldered connections to the track. However,
given that there is so much plastic in the Unitrack, if your soldering
skills really are weak, you may do more harm than good. If you use
joiners with wires attached to them, you should be good for several
years IF THE JOINERS ARE TIGHT ON THE RAILS. Long term, you may start
developing problems. Therefore, you really should solder your
connections.

Allan

fergusmr <fergusmr@...>

The instructions are generally very clear for Kato Unitrack N #4.

When making the mold for the plastic bottom cover Kato accidentally
reversed the labels for for POWER ROUTING and NON-POWER ROUTING. [See
Kato's Web site.]

I assume your instructions have accounted for this error and do not
refer to the Kato labels.

fergusmr <fergusmr@...>

The instructions are generally very clear for Kato Unitrack N #4.

When making the mold for the plastic bottom cover Kato accidentally
reversed the labels for for POWER ROUTING and NON-POWER ROUTING. [See
Kato's Web site.]

I assume your instructions have accounted for this error and do not
refer to the Kato labels.

wirefordcc <wire4dcc_admin@...>

Thanks for the heads up. I don't recall whether I discovered the
labels being backward or not. I do recall that I had a devil of a
time in understanding the turnout and creating the tables that I put
in my website. I may not have realized the labels were backward and
contributed to my difficulty in figuring out the turnout.

Unfortunately, I don't own one of these, so I have no way to verify
things. If you can, please check the tables in website and let me
know if you can confirm them.

As far as the announcement on the Kato website, it is there, but
since they are using frames, I can't post a URL for it. For those
interested in reading about the mislabeling of the N #4 turnout do
the following:
1. Go to www.katousa.com
2. Select "Consumers" at top of webpage.
3. On the left menu, scroll down to "Bulletins & Tech Notes"
4. Then look for "N #4 Turnouts Power Routing Correction"

Allan

Greyhart

The URL is http://www.katousa.com/consumers/N-4-turnouts.html

Ken Biles