Date   
Re: DCC Wiring - Can it cause a fire?

Bob <rehandjr@...>
 

Hi Steve,

Are you suggesting gaps closer to or farther from the frog?  Could you explain what you mean with a little more detail? Or point us to a diagram or discussion.

Thanks!

bob

<<If there is a highly resistive connection somewhere in the wiring that is more than about 2.8 ohms when using a 5Amp booster and there is a short circuit on the track,  that resistive point is where all the heat will be because the booster will not have shutdown but instead deliver full power.>>

 

A local layout has hand laid track and turnouts with powered frogs.  The original track layers and electricians were not too careful about where they cut the gaps beyond turnouts.  We’ve lost the side frames of two different engines to excessive heat when the front wheel set of the engines spanned the gap that isolated the frog from the yard track. 

 

Good construction minimizes a host of errors – keep those gaps inside the fouling point of your turnouts and equipment and it will reduce the number of problems due to shorts by reducing the possibility of shorts.

 

Best regards,

 

 

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

 

 

10 amp booster Re: DCC Wiring - Can it cause a fire?

Bill><>
 

 
What would the ohms be on a 10 amp booster?
I’m in 2 rail O Scale
Bill Kozel
 

From: Steve Haas
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:52 PM
Subject: RE: [WiringForDCC] Re: DCC Wiring - Can it cause a fire?
 
 

<<If there is a highly resistive connection somewhere in the wiring that is more than about 2.8 ohms when using a 5Amp booster and there is a short circuit on the track,  that resistive point is where all the heat will be because the booster will not have shutdown but instead deliver full power.>>

A local layout has hand laid track and turnouts with powered frogs.  The original track layers and electricians were not too careful about where they cut the gaps beyond turnouts.  We’ve lost the side frames of two different engines to excessive heat when the front wheel set of the engines spanned the gap that isolated the frog from the yard track. 

Good construction minimizes a host of errors – keep those gaps inside the fouling point of your turnouts and equipment and it will reduce the number of problems due to shorts by reducing the possibility of shorts.

Best regards,

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA


Madogbill><>

Re: 10 amp booster Re: DCC Wiring - Can it cause a fire?

Mark Gurries
 

V = I * R

Ohms law re-writen to solve for ohms

R = V / I

The equation is setup like this:

Ohms(Wiring) = V(track) / I(booster)

For the 10Amp booster, I(booster) = 10A and Vtrack = 16V (Factory setting)

Ohms = 16V / 10A = 1.6 Ohms per advertised specifications.

However in practice the 10Amp booster puts out close to 12Amps  (Production design margin to guarantee 10amps) which mean the actual real value is closer to 1.3 Ohms.

This is the maximum resistance value one can tolerated from one track terminal on the booster out and around the layout all the back to the other terminal of the same booster.  Your layout wiring should make sure it is less than this value.  Hence the quarter test does just that.  If a short circuit between the rails does not shutdown the booster, you have a wiring problem with to much resistance which in this case means you have more than 1.3 Ohms.




On Jan 22, 2014, at 7:00 AM, madog wrote:



 
What would the ohms be on a 10 amp booster?
I’m in 2 rail O Scale
Bill Kozel
 
From: Steve Haas
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:52 PM
Subject: RE: [WiringForDCC] Re: DCC Wiring - Can it cause a fire?
 

<<If there is a highly resistive connection somewhere in the wiring that is more than about 2.8 ohms when using a 5Amp booster and there is a short circuit on the track,  that resistive point is where all the heat will be because the booster will not have shutdown but instead deliver full power.>>

A local layout has hand laid track and turnouts with powered frogs.  The original track layers and electricians were not too careful about where they cut the gaps beyond turnouts.  We’ve lost the side frames of two different engines to excessive heat when the front wheel set of the engines spanned the gap that isolated the frog from the yard track. 

Good construction minimizes a host of errors – keep those gaps inside the fouling point of your turnouts and equipment and it will reduce the number of problems due to shorts by reducing the possibility of shorts.

Best regards,

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA


Madogbill><>



Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Electrical Engineer
DCC Website & NMRA DCC Clinics: www.markgurries.com



Re: DCC Track Design for review

Brian Eiland
 

How do you find that "FILES" section, and your "Layout for Review" ??


On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Chuck Stiles <capnchuck@...> wrote:
 

Hi I'm new to the group and DCC but not to the hobby
Its been over 30 years since I built my last layout (a lot has changed since then)
I have been doing a lot of reading & research. I designed a new layout 5 x 8'  the table is built and ready to go (you can see it in the FILES section) "Final Layout for Review" 
I am proficient with auto cad so after I tried some of the available free programs like Any Rail I decided to do it in autocad so I can get may track spacing and radius geometry correct.
I have Purchased Peco electrofrog turn out switch Peco 100 Flex Track its going over an old school cork roadbed and ballast
I have purchased tortoise switch machines as well
I built the Walthers Turntable and its ready for install
The uploaded drawing shows my proposed track layout with isolator locations track feed locations and block identification
I plan on wiring the elecrofrog thru the tortoise as per many online recommendations I have read  
The purchase of the other DCC controls I have not fully decided on, I am planning on building a fascia control panel for switch control as well as control from a handheld throttle. In the future I would like to experiment with PC control using JMRI software (but one step at a time).
I'm welcoming anyone to look at my plan and see if I may have over looked something thus far before a start making things permanent. 
There is a reversing section across the middle that I had concerns about wiring a reversing module

Thanks
Chuck Stiles
NJ


Re: DCC Track Design for review

Paul O
 

Railandsail, go to the WiringForDCC Yahoo group; on the left side, click on FILES.

The first half of that section is folders and the second half is individual files.

Scroll down until you come to "Layout for Review".

 

Paul O

 

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of railandsail
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:41 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: Re: [WiringForDCC] DCC Track Design for review

 

 

How do you find that "FILES" section, and your "Layout for Review" ??

Re: DCC Track Design for review

Paul O
 

Chuck, it looks like a good plan.

One question: It looks like you have about 25 separate blocks. What is you plan for these blocks?

n  Individual circuit breakers?

n  Auto light bulbs?

n  Grouping them to a terminal block for troubleshooting ease?

 

The reverse loop shouldn’t be a problem so long as the isolated section is longer than any train you plan to run thru it.

 

Do you plan to be a lone operator or have multiple operators?

 

Paul O

 

 

From:  Chuck Stiles

Hi I'm new to the group and DCC but not to the hobby

Its been over 30 years since I built my last layout (a lot has changed since then)

I have been doing a lot of reading & research. I designed a new layout 5 x 8'  the table is built and ready to go (you can see it in the FILES section) "Final Layout for Review" 

I am proficient with auto cad so after I tried some of the available free programs like Any Rail I decided to do it in autocad so I can get may track spacing and radius geometry correct.

I have Purchased Peco electrofrog turn out switch Peco 100 Flex Track its going over an old school cork roadbed and ballast

I have purchased tortoise switch machines as well

I built the Walthers Turntable and its ready for install

The uploaded drawing shows my proposed track layout with isolator locations track feed locations and block identification

I plan on wiring the elecrofrog thru the tortoise as per many online recommendations I have read  

The purchase of the other DCC controls I have not fully decided on, I am planning on building a fascia control panel for switch control as well as control from a handheld throttle. In the future I would like to experiment with PC control using JMRI software (but one step at a time).

I'm welcoming anyone to look at my plan and see if I may have over looked something thus far before a start making things permanent. 

There is a reversing section across the middle that I had concerns about wiring a reversing module

 

Thanks

Chuck Stiles

NJ

 

Re: DCC Track Design for review

Flash Gordon
 

I have the NEO version of yahoo and I cannot find it in the files section.

I hate Neo.

Ed S

At 10:52 PM 1/22/2014, you wrote:


Railandsail, go to the WiringForDCC Yahoo group; on the left side, click on FILES.

The first half of that section is folders and the second half is individual files.

Scroll down until you come to "Layout for Review".



Paul O

Re: DCC Track Design for review

Carl
 

Hi Gang:

How about coping the web link so we all don't need to waste time searching at all?

I think I found it in photos:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WiringForDCC/photos/albums/85627517

Files had no "Layout for Review".

Carl.

On 1/22/2014 10:52 PM, Paul O wrote:
 

Railandsail, go to the WiringForDCC Yahoo group; on the left side, click on FILES.

The first half of that section is folders and the second half is individual files.

Scroll down until you come to "Layout for Review".

 

Paul O

 

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of railandsail
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:41 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: Re: [WiringForDCC] DCC Track Design for review

 

 

How do you find that "FILES" section, and your "Layout for Review" ??


Re: DCC Track Design for review

Carl
 

Hi Gang:

Second try, it is in the files:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WiringForDCC/files

You need the full name to find it: "Final Layout for review".

Share your goals for your layout. The tracks run very close to the edges for any scenery.  The four parallel tracks look like they have a station between them. Are you interested in passenger service? Only a few sidings so perhaps not freight switching. Turntable and round house so the age of steam?

Do you plan to move the layout often? Can you work it from all sides? What space do you have available?

Electrically it is simple, plenty of blocks and only one reversing track, the green diagonal, if you don't count the turntable track.

Let us know. Carl
 

On 1/23/2014 12:42 AM, Carl wrote:
 

Hi Gang:

How about coping the web link so we all don't need to waste time searching at all?

I think I found it in photos:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WiringForDCC/photos/albums/85627517

Files had no "Layout for Review".

Carl.

On 1/22/2014 10:52 PM, Paul O wrote:
 

Railandsail, go to the WiringForDCC Yahoo group; on the left side, click on FILES.

The first half of that section is folders and the second half is individual files.

Scroll down until you come to "Layout for Review".

 

Paul O

 

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of railandsail
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:41 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: Re: [WiringForDCC] DCC Track Design for review

 

 

How do you find that "FILES" section, and your "Layout for Review" ??



Re: DCC Wiring - Can it cause a fire?

Steve Haas
 

In response to my comment:

 

“  . . . keep those gaps inside the fouling point of your turnouts and equipment and it will reduce the number of problems due to shorts by reducing the possibility of shorts.”,

 

Bob inquired:

“Are you suggesting gaps closer to or farther from the frog?  Could you explain what you mean with a little more detail? Or point us to a diagram or discussion.>>

 

I’d be glad to, Bob.

The Fouling point is the location where equipment on the diverging tracks of a turnout would sideswipe each other.  Trains & equipment need to be spotted beyond the fouling point so equipment can move into/out of the adjacent track without sideswiping each other.

Starting from the point end of a turn out, you have points, frog, fouling point.  Your gaps go between the frog and the fouling point.  These gaps should be as close to the frog as is reasonably possible given the track construction methods used. 

The rationale is this – In theory, (most, there are always exceptions <>) operators will keep equipment beyond the fouling point so trains don’t snag on each other.  If they do that (as they should), and the gaps are between the frog and the fouling point, the metal wheels of stopped equipment are unlikely to span the gap, potentially creating a short if the turnout is thrown against the equipment spanning that gap.

 

We had an incident on a local layout where this actually occurred.  Track was hand laid, and one side of the frog extended about six inches down the yard track.  A train entered the track from the far end of the yard and pulled down to the far end, where it stopped with one of its front wheels spanning the frog gap.  As the engineer was moving slow, he was almost stopped when tht axle spanned that gap, and didn’t notice that he’d straddled the gap.  The turnout was against him, so the frog was one polarity and the rail under the train the opposite.   Additionally this was the last train of the session, so the short went completely un-noticed.  The layout was shut down and we went to beans.  Several work sessions passed where we had track power on for various reasons.  When we finally went to move the train for re-staging purposes, it wouldn’t move.  Inspection revealed that the gear on the front axle had gotten so hot that the plastic had flowed around the bearing block on that side of the axle, and had cooled around the bearing block effectively freezing the mechanism.  Layout owner, not realizing that any of this had happened, attempted to move the train by turning up speed on throttle.  Only thing that happened is track to decoder and decoder to motor wiring got hot and the insulation burned off.

All of this would have been avoided if the gaps had placed properly  (between the frog and the fouling point originally.

 

Best regards,

 

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

 





Are you suggesting gaps closer to or farther from the frog?  Could you explain what you mean with a little more detail? Or point us to a diagram or discussion.

Thanks!

bob

 

Good construction minimizes a host of errors – keep those gaps inside the fouling point of your turnouts and equipment and it will reduce the number of problems due to shorts by reducing the possibility of shorts.

 

Best regards,

 

 

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

 

 

size=2 width="100%" align=center>


Spam
Not spam
Forget previous vote


Re: DCC Track Design for review

Brian Eiland
 






I still don't see "files" on either of these pages??

Sorry, Perhaps I'm just computer 'challenged'
Brian







10 Amp Vs 5 Amp Vs 3 Amps for your layout.

Mark Cartwright
 

Hi all, 


I have more complicated questions... But first I believe we need to agree on some facts, which I am honestly hazy on.
===
First > Depending on your scale > Which amperage is needed and optimized?
Nearly guessing here...
3 amps for N Scale
5 amps for HO Scale
10 Amps for G....
? Or is this even applicable today.
===
Here is the other shoe to drop.... If I have a large layout of over 400 square feet of track stretched around a 21 x 60 foot rectangle. Would it be best to start off at 10 amps and hope the power gets all the way around or use small 3-5 amp boosters for a N Scale layout expecting to run upwards of 12 trains at a time.

Thank you for listening,
:)) Mark

===========
As for fire... I have personally witnessed 12 volt wiring on a 10 amp circuit basically burst into flame as it shorted near a gasoline line. Prior to 1973, it was not unusual to find Manufacturers running 12 volt wiring through the same chase as a gasoline line. A major difference between the 1972 vs the 1973 BMW 2002. Once, I learned this fact many years ago, I tended to be careful in choosing any car made prior to 1973, I wouldn't own a pre-1973 BMW and rewired a 1963 Panel Truck to the wiring diagram of a 1973 BMW 2002. There was also a practice in use  of the old days of varying wiring gauge, even in 110 volt circuits. Again a practice I tried to avoid and will replace a circuit with one type of gauge with fewer splices or connections. This maybe a factor more on a 10 amp circuit than a 3 amp circuit.

I also tend to separate wiring to type and other use. Such communication wiring being separated from power lighting. We have an additional consideration with DCC wiring.

The Construction methods of the day in the 1906 SF Earthquake place natural gas lines in the same pockets at the new to the day electrical wiring. It was fires and explosions which were the most fatal for San Francisco. Sort of like saying it was not the Hurricane but the flood which harmed New Orleans during Katrina then followed by lawlessness.

Meaning > There is a fire extinguisher near my layout and I am working on a fail-proof method of turning off all power to my layout - As I leave the room.

Re: 10 Amp Vs 5 Amp Vs 3 Amps for your layout.

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>
 

Mark,

Your synopsis for power supply amps is good for starters. Include S scale in the 5 amp group and O scale with the 10 amp G scalers. Obviously it is not just the scale, but the physical size of the layout and how many trains you intend to run at the same time that determines the need for power and long voltage loss wiring runs.

 

For your 21 x 60 ft around the room layout, I would split it up to use two 5 amp boosters rather than a single 10 amp unit. Divide the layout into two equally sized booster districts and place each booster roughly midway between the ends of each district to minimize the wiring distance from booster to track droppers. Use 12-14 ga DCC bus wiring. Splitting the booster districts into several circuit breaker protected power district sub-buses to isolate switching areas from main lines is also a good idea. Three 5 amp boosters would be overkill for N scale as you will not need that much power.

 

DonV

 

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of marcdecapri@...
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:03 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] 10 Amp Vs 5 Amp Vs 3 Amps for your layout.

 



Hi all, 

 

I have more complicated questions... But first I believe we need to agree on some facts, which I am honestly hazy on.

===

First > Depending on your scale > Which amperage is needed and optimized?

Nearly guessing here...

3 amps for N Scale

5 amps for HO Scale

10 Amps for G....

? Or is this even applicable today.

===

Here is the other shoe to drop.... If I have a large layout of over 400 square feet of track stretched around a 21 x 60 foot rectangle. Would it be best to start off at 10 amps and hope the power gets all the way around or use small 3-5 amp boosters for a N Scale layout expecting to run upwards of 12 trains at a time.

 

Thank you for listening,

:)) Mark

Re: DCC Track Design for review

Paul O
 

Here is a direct link to the PDF:

http://tinyurl.com/k5pq7xp

 

Paul O

 

 

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of railandsail
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:20 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: Re: [WiringForDCC] DCC Track Design for review

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I still don't see "files" on either of these pages??

 

Sorry, Perhaps I'm just computer 'challenged'

Brian

 

 

 

 

 

 

Re: DCC Track Design for review

Paul O
 

Brian, the file is not on the ‘Wiringfordcc.com’ web site, it on the Yahoo Group WiringforDCC site.

 

Paul O

 

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of railandsail
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:20 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: Re: [WiringForDCC] DCC Track Design for review

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I still don't see "files" on either of these pages??

 

Sorry, Perhaps I'm just computer 'challenged'

Brian

 

 

 

 

 

 

Re: DCC Wiring - Can it cause a fire?

Flash Gordon
 


Steve,

I must admit I was also confused by your use of the term "fouling point" because I was thinking in model scale track laying. I am ashamed for not seeing your logic at first because I was also a real time switchman.

We always had to be sure spotted cars did not foul the main. The method was to stand over the rail with one foot on each side and stick out your arm to be sure it did not touch the car in question.

I have a feeling you were also a railroader do to your reference to the “beanery”. I worked on the “Snake” Southern Pacific in the San Francisco area in the 60’s; specifically the Alameda Belt line.

Thanks for your tip on model railroading and be sure to not walk on the “ball” of the rail.

Headed for the barn,
Ed S


At 02:20 AM 1/23/2014, you wrote:
 

In response to my comment:

 

“  . . . keep those gaps inside the fouling point of your turnouts and equipment and it will reduce the number of problems due to shorts by reducing the possibility of shorts.”,

 

Bob inquired:

“Are you suggesting gaps closer to or farther from the frog?  Could you explain what you mean with a little more detail? Or point us to a diagram or discussion.>>

 

I’d be glad to, Bob.

The Fouling point is the location where equipment on the diverging tracks of a turnout would sideswipe each other.  Trains & equipment need to be spotted beyond the fouling point so equipment can move into/out of the adjacent track without sideswiping each other.

Starting from the point end of a turn out, you have points, frog, fouling point.  Your gaps go between the frog and the fouling point.  These gaps should be as close to the frog as is reasonably possible given the track construction methods used. 

The rationale is this – In theory, (most, there are always exceptions <>) operators will keep equipment beyond the fouling point so trains don’t snag on each other.  If they do that (as they should), and the gaps are between the frog and the fouling point, the metal wheels of stopped equipment are unlikely to span the gap, potentially creating a short if the turnout is thrown against the equipment spanning that gap.

 

We had an incident on a local layout where this actually occurred.  Track was hand laid, and one side of the frog extended about six inches down the yard track.  A train entered the track from the far end of the yard and pulled down to the far end, where it stopped with one of its front wheels spanning the frog gap.  As the engineer was moving slow, he was almost stopped when tht axle spanned that gap, and didn’t notice that he’d straddled the gap.  The turnout was against him, so the frog was one polarity and the rail under the train the opposite.   Additionally this was the last train of the session, so the short went completely un-noticed.  The layout was shut down and we went to beans.  Several work sessions passed where we had track power on for various reasons.  When we finally went to move the train for re-staging purposes, it wouldn’t move.  Inspection revealed that the gear on the front axle had gotten so hot that the plastic had flowed around the bearing block on that side of the axle, and had cooled around the bearing block effectively freezing the mechanism.  Layout owner, not realizing that any of this had happened, attempted to move the train by turning up speed on throttle.  Only thing that happened is track to decoder and decoder to motor wiring got hot and the insulation burned off.

All of this would have been avoided if the gaps had placed properly  (between the frog and the fouling point originally.

 

Best regards,

 

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

 

Re: DCC Track Design for review

Brian Eiland
 

I guess I'm just confused by all the 'stuff' left in each email. Nobody tends to clean up all this extraneous mess that comes with each email notice,...and those very similar addresses are confusing to me.

I participate on a number of boating forums that are much clearer than this yahoo stuff,(to me anyway). And this RR forum is easier for me to understand....layout I once had....
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?8141-Problems-with-quot-The-Central-Midland-quot-Atlas-HO-29-layout-w-Pics/page2

Here is a 5x9 layout I once saw on Ebay and thought to buy. It seems to offer a lot in a relatively small footprint. Lets see if I can attach a photo to this forum discussion?...no, but here is a link
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?29478-Need-Ideas-for-HO-Layout-for-5-x-10ft-Table&p=331236#post331236

I had wanted to see your choice of a layout, but having trouble getting to the photo/dwg
Brian





On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Paul O <pomilian@...> wrote:
 
Brian, the file is not on the ‘Wiringfordcc.com’ web site, it on the Yahoo Group WiringforDCC site.

Paul O

 

Re: DCC Track Design for review

Chuck Stiles
 

Brian

This should be a direct link to the file i posted on Yahoo Groups it will require a PDF viewer to open

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v2/ZLHiUrd_AnK-SGcVw26XSTp8uzhY3crYJFdvdgJt5tYG8oyU0YEPI8TahnklowCrnmbZZz24yD9a96glc37ABzT1iHYpFITa3qZbUr7TD3vt6r0CoEHfXQryCy8P2G1vaz93lsI7MdEK/Final%20Layout%20for%20review.pdf

I posted this in hopes for review from a DCC point of view in the design and provisions I made for power feeds on the layout etc. I was hoping for constructive criticism.

I also uploaded in the pictures section photo's of the tilted table construction

Hope This Helps

Chuck Stiles
NJ



On Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:47 PM, railandsail wrote:
 
I guess I'm just confused by all the 'stuff' left in each email. Nobody tends to clean up all this extraneous mess that comes with each email notice,...and those very similar addresses are confusing to me.

I participate on a number of boating forums that are much clearer than this yahoo stuff,(to me anyway). And this RR forum is easier for me to understand....layout I once had....
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?8141-Problems-with-quot-The-Central-Midland-quot-Atlas-HO-29-layout-w-Pics/page2

Here is a 5x9 layout I once saw on Ebay and thought to buy. It seems to offer a lot in a relatively small footprint. Lets see if I can attach a photo to this forum discussion?...no, but here is a link
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?29478-Need-Ideas-for-HO-Layout-for-5-x-10ft-Table&p=331236#post331236

I had wanted to see your choice of a layout, but having trouble getting to the photo/dwg
Brian





On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Paul O <pomilian@...> wrote:
 
Brian, the file is not on the ‘Wiringfordcc.com’ web site, it on the Yahoo Group WiringforDCC site.
Paul O
 


Re: DCC Track Design for review

Flash Gordon
 

Chuck,

That link did not work for me but I did find the pdf in the file section once I got the correct name.

Final Layout for review.PDF

Looks good to me, very similar to a layout I am building.

Ed S

Re: DCC Track Design for review

george hohon3
 

Just a comment . . . And much to my surprise, a true story.

A couple years back, I started a new layout and made the decision it would DCC throughout.  It's relatively small, a HO double deck plan in 12' x 14' extra bedroom.  I studied all the files, went to DCC clinics at a number of conventions, and built the layout using the recommended wiring practices.

Upon completing the track work, which includes a twelve track fiddle yard, multiple DCC friendly  turnouts, cross-overs, and sidings, I was tickled pink that first train navigated every inch of track without so much as a hiccup.

Jump ahead a couple of years and I'm facing an expansion of the layout into an adjacent room.  A review of the wiring was needed and during that exercise I discovered I did not complete all the recommended wiring practices, as stated by "the experts" from a couple of years back.

My discovery?  Well, much to my surprise (even though the entire layout had a main power bus under every foot of length) . . . There was only ONE pair of track feeder wires powering the entire layout!  One and only one.  Two years of running multiple trains and never a power problem.

We're the experts wrong?  Or was I just lucky?  Or what?  I doubt a specific answer will ever present itself, and I'm sure there will be opinions galore.

As for me and the layout and the discovered omission . . . I say I'll let this sleeping dog rest where he is and do nothing to upset him.

My conclusion to all of this discussion is this . . . DCC is the simplest wiring required for any model railroad.  As long as you don't over think it.  Like they say, "KISS!"

George


On Jan 24, 2014, at 12:19 PM, "Ed S" <eschwerkolt@...> wrote:

 

Chuck,

That link did not work for me but I did find the pdf in the file
section once I got the correct name.

Final Layout for review.PDF

Looks good to me, very similar to a layout I am building.

Ed S

At 01:37 PM 1/24/2014, you wrote:
>http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v2/ZLHiUrd_AnK-SGcVw26XSTp8uzhY3crYJFdvdgJt5tYG8oyU0YEPI8TahnklowCrnmbZZz24yD9a96glc37ABzT1iHYpFITa3qZbUr7TD3vt6r0CoEHfXQryCy8P2G1vaz93lsI7MdEK/Final%20Layout%20for%20review.pdf