Date   
GoodLuckBuy.Com For Supplies

Carl
 

Hi Gang:

I just received a bag of pcb terminals from Good Luck Buy - Hong Kong:

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/2-pin-screw-terminal-block-connector-5mm-pitch-100-pcs.html

They look fine, free air mail and about $0.05 per terminal position!
They also had 3 pin models, wish I order some of them too. The terminals
dovetail together to form as many as you need.

They have quite a variety of items. Just a week or so to deliver.

Good Luck, Carl.

I Need Your Expertise

Gary Johnson
 

List Members

I've looking for years for a special HO brass locomotive. The ones I found
were mostly used and not in very good shape. I finally found a brand new
locomotive. It was more than I thought it should be, but I again had been
looking for a long time and decided to purchase it. When I got it, it was
unpainted. I've thought about putting a decoder with sound. What are your
thoughts on brand? This locomotive is pacific 4-6-2 type.. Do I want a
decoder with a driver cam or not? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Gary Johnson
CStPM&O Modeler\
Pleasant Grove, UT

Re: I Need Your Expertise

Mark Gurries
 

The decision to use a cam or not comes down to how much physical
effort and time do you want to put into the locomotive. It is
also very important to make sure the sound decoder you choose
accepts a cam input. Not all sound decoders offer that option.

You cannot go wrong with a CAM system interms of accurate chuff
rates over the entire speed range of the locomotive. But some
may say it is not worth the effort. All though not a precise as
a cam, you do have the option of tuning the decoders emulation
of chuff rate through a CV setting. That is what the majority
of people do. The tuning tends to be optimize on medium slow on
down speed ranges. In other words speeds were one has a chance
to watch the wheels turn and know when to expect a chuff.
Medium on up speed chuff rate is not worth worrying about.

As to which brand of decoder to use, that is something only you
can decide. People have love and hare relationships with
certain brands of decoders for one reason or another. Some of
those concern may come from a lack of understanding of how to
tune the decoder to get what you want. Somethings are harder to
setup than others between different brands of decoders. Some
may be simply bad luck based or the skills of the person. Many
possible reasons.

What tends to be most important to people is the quality/realism
of the sounds produced. You can become a sound "rivit counter"
on some of these decoders in terms of the sound effects.

What you will want to do in order to get a good start on setting
up the sound decoder is to get a JMRI "Decoder Pro" setup on a
computer. Given the literally hundreds of CV settings relating
to the huge range of tuning options, the only way to get a good
handle on them is to use this program.

On 1/23/12 at 7:36 PM, cstpmo.modeler@... (Gary Johnson) wrote:
List Members

I've looking for years for a special HO brass locomotive. The ones I found
were mostly used and not in very good shape. I finally found a brand new
locomotive. It was more than I thought it should be, but I again had been
looking for a long time and decided to purchase it. When I got it, it was
unpainted. I've thought about putting a decoder with sound. What are your
thoughts on brand? This locomotive is pacific 4-6-2 type.. Do I want a
decoder with a driver cam or not? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Gary Johnson
CStPM&O Modeler\
Pleasant Grove, UT


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

http://www.WiringForDCC.comYahoo! Groups Links


Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Electrical Engineer
DCC Website & NMRA DCC Clinics: www.markgurries.com

Re: I Need Your Expertise

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>
 

Gary,
Since you have been looking for this loco for some time your expectations may be rather high. Be sure to check out the DC motor before doing anything. It may be an older open frame type that draws too many amps for the DCC decoders of today. Changing out the motor to a more modern can type would make it more compatible. Tsunami steam sound decoders are one of the best for sound, and do have provisions for a chuff cam. And... Hire someone to paint it if you are not up to it yourself.
DonV

-----Original Message-----
From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of Gary Johnson
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 9:37 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] I Need Your Expertise

List Members

I've looking for years for a special HO brass locomotive. The ones I found
were mostly used and not in very good shape. I finally found a brand new
locomotive. It was more than I thought it should be, but I again had been
looking for a long time and decided to purchase it. When I got it, it was
unpainted. I've thought about putting a decoder with sound. What are your
thoughts on brand? This locomotive is pacific 4-6-2 type.. Do I want a
decoder with a driver cam or not? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Gary Johnson
CStPM&O Modeler&#92;
Pleasant Grove, UT


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

http://www.WiringForDCC.comYahoo! Groups Links

Re: I Need Your Expertise

Lou McIntyre <louism@...>
 

Gary;
Additionally, Tsunami sound decoders also have what they brand as
"Auto-Exhaust" which provides chuffing without the need for a cam
Lou Mc

-----Original Message-----
From: Vollrath, Don [SMTP:dvollrath@...]
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:44 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: RE: [WiringForDCC] I Need Your Expertise

Gary,
Since you have been looking for this loco for some time your expectations
may be rather high. Be sure to check out the DC motor before doing
anything. It may be an older open frame type that draws too many amps for
the DCC decoders of today. Changing out the motor to a more modern can type
would make it more compatible. Tsunami steam sound decoders are one of the
best for sound, and do have provisions for a chuff cam. And... Hire someone
to paint it if you are not up to it yourself.
DonV

-----Original Message-----
From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On
Behalf Of Gary Johnson
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 9:37 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] I Need Your Expertise

List Members

I've looking for years for a special HO brass locomotive. The ones I found
were mostly used and not in very good shape. I finally found a brand new
locomotive. It was more than I thought it should be, but I again had been
looking for a long time and decided to purchase it. When I got it, it was
unpainted. I've thought about putting a decoder with sound. What are your
thoughts on brand? This locomotive is pacific 4-6-2 type.. Do I want a
decoder with a driver cam or not? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Gary Johnson
CStPM&O Modeler&#92;
Pleasant Grove, UT






------------------------------------

http://www.WiringForDCC.comYahoo! Groups Links






------------------------------------

http://www.WiringForDCC.comYahoo! Groups Links

Re: I Need Your Expertise

rg <richg_1998@...>
 

Put your multimeter leads in series
with one motor lead and feed 12 vdc to the motor. I use the slipping
driver test, press lightly on the driver rim, to measure motor
current under a load. Locking the drivers can be hard on the gears. I
remember most brass locos had fiber gears with a metal worm.
It may have happened to some but I have never seen a loco driver
lockup in a derailment.

I had an older MDC all metal steamer with open frame that would draw
about two amps so I had it re motored and re geared.

Rich
 
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering,
what happened?


________________________________
From: "Vollrath, Don" <dvollrath@...>
To: "WiringForDCC@..." <WiringForDCC@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:44 PM
Subject: RE: [WiringForDCC] I Need Your Expertise

Gary,
Since you have been looking for this loco for some time your expectations may be rather high. Be sure to check out the DC motor before doing anything. It may be an older open frame type that draws too many amps for the DCC decoders of today. Changing out the motor to a more modern can type would make it more compatible. Tsunami steam sound decoders are one of the best for sound, and do have provisions for a chuff cam. And... Hire someone to paint it if you are not up to it yourself.
DonV

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: I Need Your Expertise

René Lüthi
 

Gary,

You can remove the boiler from the frame of your engine. Then you have
access to the motor and you can block the motor at the coupling to the
drive gear. So, you have an accurate current measurement and there is no
harm to the gears.

If it is an old open frame 3 pole motor, use it as an open load on a
flat car, I have fried a decoder on a slow run of 10 sec. with such a
motor. This kind of motors produce 3 nearly short circuits per
revolution, it is hard for the decoders when the motor spins faster and
mortal when the motor spins slowly.

Some brands of decoders may be fine tuned in order that the exhaust
chuff occurs at the exact moment. If the drivers make more than two
revolutions per second, you must be a professional telegraph operator to
see and hear whether the chuffs are synchronized or not anyway.

Ren.



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: I Need Your Expertise

Carter MORGAN
 

Hi Rich, I also have an older engine, a Mantua 0-6-0 swithcher w/open frame motor. Don't know the amp draw but probably 1-2A under load. Would like to replace the motor as you did. Where can I find information for re-motoring older HO DC equiptment isolated motors, fit in the unit and grear drive & shafts etc. Problem here where I live is an hour drive to the nearest LHS.

Carter

--- In WiringForDCC@..., rg <richg_1998@...> wrote:


Put your multimeter leads in series
with one motor lead and feed 12 vdc to the motor. I use the slipping
driver test, press lightly on the driver rim, to measure motor
current under a load. Locking the drivers can be hard on the gears. I
remember most brass locos had fiber gears with a metal worm.
It may have happened to some but I have never seen a loco driver
lockup in a derailment.

I had an older MDC all metal steamer with open frame that would draw
about two amps so I had it re motored and re geared.

Rich
 

WiringForDCC] Re: I Need Your Expertise

Gary Johnson
 

To the list members that responded to my questions and concerns, thank you
for responding. I have a lot of information to mull over, and a lot of good
information to take under consideration.



Thank you,



Gary Johnson

CStPM&O Modeler

Pleasant Grove, UT

Turn ON delay relay

Dale Gloer
 

I need a device that can delay the Turn On of a power supply for a second or so after power is applied to other related and connected components.

I have searched for a relay that would accomplish this but have not found anything suitable, either not the correct function or the cost is prohibitive.

Ideally the input to the device would be about 18 volts AC but other common voltages, like 12vdc or 120 vac, would be acceptable.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Dale Gloer

Re: Turn ON delay relay

Mark Gurries
 

I found this on line using google on the key words "AC delay Timer"

http://www.omega.com/pptst/TD-69.html

The TD69 is what you want. However its minimum time is 6 seconds.

The power supply must not draw more than 100Watts from the AC
line which is fine for most power supplies used with layouts.

On 1/26/12 at 7:29 AM, @selkirk5934 (dale_gloer) wrote:
I need a device that can delay the Turn On of a power supply
for a second or so after power is applied to other related and
connected components.

I have searched for a relay that would accomplish this but have
not found anything suitable, either not the correct function or
the cost is prohibitive.

Ideally the input to the device would be about 18 volts AC but
other common voltages, like 12vdc or 120 vac, would be acceptable.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Dale Gloer



------------------------------------

http://www.WiringForDCC.comYahoo! Groups Links


Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Electrical Engineer
DCC Website & NMRA DCC Clinics: www.markgurries.com

Re: Shinohara Turnout

Alan
 

Check this video out this may help you Alan C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZHL25RgH4E&feature=related

--- In WiringForDCC@..., Denny Anspach <danspach@...> wrote:

On Jan 9, 2012, at 5:05 AM, WiringForDCC@... wrote:

Question to see how others fixed an issue. I have some Shinohara turnouts that are installed that have lost power to some of the point rails through the joiner. These did not have the modification that is shown on the website. These are ballasted turnouts so removing them is not an option.

My initial reaction is to solder the rail joiner to both sides. I realize this reduces flexibility but given the joiner is only a quarter inch long, I can't imagine that this would impact rail gauge etc. These are number 8 and 10's so the point rail is very long.
Not a good idea...at all. This will give you all sorts of problems, not the least of which is placing stress on the point assembly.

Although I routinely jumper these rails on the bench from the underside of the turnout- with #29 tinned uninsulated wire- providing wide-enough "loops" in the jumpers so that point rail movement is not impeded, this can also still be done with the turnout in place, but this time with the jumper on top of the ties, disguised with ballast, etc.

My other thought was to drill 2 holes through the table and add one side of a feeder wire to the pivot rail and the other end to the fixed rail.
This kind of fix is my "last resort" . It works well, is fast, and can be a very effective expedient.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento






Re: Turn ON delay relay

Max Maginness
 

Perhaps you can state the reason you want to delay one supply, and what are
the related and connected components. That might make a method more
apparent.



Max



From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On
Behalf Of dale_gloer
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:29 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Turn ON delay relay





I need a device that can delay the Turn On of a power supply for a second or
so after power is applied to other related and connected components.

I have searched for a relay that would accomplish this but have not found
anything suitable, either not the correct function or the cost is
prohibitive.

Ideally the input to the device would be about 18 volts AC but other common
voltages, like 12vdc or 120 vac, would be acceptable.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Dale Gloer



_____

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 10.0.1416 / Virus Database: 2109/4766 - Release Date: 01/25/12

Re: Turn ON delay relay

aaronmorley@y7mail.com
 

--- In WiringForDCC@..., Mark Gurries <gurriesm@...> wrote:

I found this on line using google on the key words "AC delay Timer"

http://www.omega.com/pptst/TD-69.html

The TD69 is what you want. However its minimum time is 6 seconds.

The power supply must not draw more than 100Watts from the AC
line which is fine for most power supplies used with layouts.

On 1/26/12 at 7:29 AM, dale.gloer@... (dale_gloer) wrote:
I need a device that can delay the Turn On of a power supply
for a second or so after power is applied to other related and
connected components.

I have searched for a relay that would accomplish this but have
not found anything suitable, either not the correct function or
the cost is prohibitive.

Ideally the input to the device would be about 18 volts AC but
other common voltages, like 12vdc or 120 vac, would be acceptable.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Dale Gloer



------------------------------------

http://www.WiringForDCC.comYahoo! Groups Links


Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Electrical Engineer
DCC Website & NMRA DCC Clinics: www.markgurries.com

Use a transistor as the switch, bridge rectify the AC and pick an appropriate RC network to delay transistor turn on as required.

Re: Turn ON delay relay

Dale Gloer
 

Max,

I need to delay the turn on of power to a Digitrax booster until the the Loconet signal is "GOOD". My command station, DCS200, and booster, DCS200 set to booster mode, are both fed from the same power source. I want to delay the power to the booster for a few seconds while the command station starts up. The switching device needs to handle 18 VAC at up to 8 amps.

Dale Gleor

--- In WiringForDCC@..., " Max Maginness" <m.maginness@...> wrote:

Perhaps you can state the reason you want to delay one supply, and what are
the related and connected components. That might make a method more
apparent.



Max



From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On
Behalf Of dale_gloer
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:29 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Turn ON delay relay





I need a device that can delay the Turn On of a power supply for a second or
so after power is applied to other related and connected components.

I have searched for a relay that would accomplish this but have not found
anything suitable, either not the correct function or the cost is
prohibitive.

Ideally the input to the device would be about 18 volts AC but other common
voltages, like 12vdc or 120 vac, would be acceptable.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Dale Gloer



_____

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 10.0.1416 / Virus Database: 2109/4766 - Release Date: 01/25/12




Re: Turn ON delay relay

JB
 

Two switches labeled 1 and 2.
JB

-- Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
-- Red Green

Re: Turn ON delay relay

Dale Gloer
 

I guess I didn't make myself clear. Both DCS200s are fed by splits from a single transformer!

Also this is a large club layout so two switches, even if that was a solution, is less than ideal.

Dale Gloer

--- In WiringForDCC@..., JB <rideyam2@...> wrote:

Two switches labeled 1 and 2.
JB

-- Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
-- Red Green

Re: Turn ON delay relay

Carl
 

Hi Dale:

Fix up a small cabinet. Opening the door closes switch #1 so it powers
up the main transformer before you can reach switch #2 for the second
DCS 200. If you need more delay put a beer in front of switch #2.

Also if switch #1 were two pole, the second pole could feed switch #2 so
if switch #2 were thrown first nothing would happen.

PS: I have used relay timers on 2 converter for 1 phase to 3 phase. The
timer blocks the 3 phase output until the rotary inverter is up to
speed. They worked fine, well until the first burned up in the Woodland
Scenics fire.

Good luck, Carl.

Re: Turn ON delay relay

richg_1998 <richg_1998@...>
 

--- In WiringForDCC@..., Carl <carl.blum@...> wrote:

Hi Dale:

Fix up a small cabinet. Opening the door closes switch #1 so it powers
up the main transformer before you can reach switch #2 for the second
DCS 200. If you need more delay put a beer in front of switch #2.

Also if switch #1 were two pole, the second pole could feed switch #2 so
if switch #2 were thrown first nothing would happen.

PS: I have used relay timers on 2 converter for 1 phase to 3 phase. The
timer blocks the 3 phase output until the rotary inverter is up to
speed. They worked fine, well until the first burned up in the Woodland
Scenics fire.

Good luck, Carl.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind of LOL.

Rich

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Turn ON delay relay

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>
 

Dale, If you are contemplating switching 18Vac to a booster it doesn't need to meet all the UL/NEC agency requirements so you should be able to d-i-y. Find a suitable 10-20amp rated relay with a 12Vdc coil. (think automotive) Add a 1A, 100-200V bridge rectifier to the incoming 18Vac to power the coil. Determine relay coil resistance ohms. Calculate a series resistor value that will end up with ~12Vdc across the relay coil when starting from ~15Vdc. Then add a big value 25V rated electrolytic cap directly across the relay coil as a simple RC time delay to pick up the relay. Use the relay contacts to route delayed power to your time delayed apparatus. There are many more sophisticated ways to do it, but all require more design value considerations and parts. Purchasing anything UL rated for 115Vac operation means mucho $$.
DonV

-----Original Message-----
From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of dale_gloer
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:29 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Turn ON delay relay

I need a device that can delay the Turn On of a power supply for a second or so after power is applied to other related and connected components.

I have searched for a relay that would accomplish this but have not found anything suitable, either not the correct function or the cost is prohibitive.

Ideally the input to the device would be about 18 volts AC but other common voltages, like 12vdc or 120 vac, would be acceptable.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Dale Gloer



------------------------------------

http://www.WiringForDCC.comYahoo! Groups Links