All good points, Don, I'll keep that list in mind as we dig deeper.  Many of the joints are crimp butt-splice connectors, good in theory but prone to weak-hand syndrome.

Thanks

Blair

On 2017-11-27 09:37, dvollrath@... [WiringForDCC] wrote:

Blair,

The size of the wire might not be the real problem. #18 can easily carry enough current to pass the coin test. Look at all the power wiring splices. Many non-electrician types tend to simply twist the wires together and thereby making a poor electrical connection which can get worse over time. Verify that the joints are either soldered or are correctly using wire nuts. Also verify the soldering of feeder wire connections to the rails... especially at those sections that don't pass the coin test. Do not rely on track feeder wires connected to rail joiners as the joiners to rail connections are the problem. If that is the case, be sure to solder the joiner to the rail.

DonV

---In WiringForDCC@..., wrote :

Hi

Debugging another friend's layout.  His bus wiring is not up to snuff,
as the coin test fails in many sectors.  It's clear to me that his bus
wires, 16 and 18 ga speaker wire with numerous butt-splice connections,
is the root of the problem; it's an old DC layout, with the blocks
rewired.  Runs are in the 25' range, so I'm not worried about distance.
He's reluctant to completely rewire, as he did put feeders in for every
section of rail.

I think he could improve performance by running a parallel larger gauge
buss pair, interconnecting the Rail A to Rail A' wires, and the Rail B
to Rail B' wires, at regular intervals (say 5').  Think of each buss as
beginning to look like a ladder, with the rungs being the interconnects
and the feeders running from one side of the ladder to the rails;
really, this is an extension of the rails-parallel-to-the-bus wires
anyway, now we just have three parallel paths.

Does anyone see a serious gotcha with this?  I don't see one, as long as
the A and A' wires, and the B and B' wires, stay in reasonable
proximity.  It's not ideal, but it is a lot less work than a complete
rewiring, especially as some of his feeders are darn near inaccessible.

Thanks for any suggestions

Blair