Wire gauge remedy

Blair

Hi

Debugging another friend's layout.  His bus wiring is not up to snuff, as the coin test fails in many sectors.  It's clear to me that his bus wires, 16 and 18 ga speaker wire with numerous butt-splice connections, is the root of the problem; it's an old DC layout, with the blocks rewired.  Runs are in the 25' range, so I'm not worried about distance.  He's reluctant to completely rewire, as he did put feeders in for every section of rail.

I think he could improve performance by running a parallel larger gauge buss pair, interconnecting the Rail A to Rail A' wires, and the Rail B to Rail B' wires, at regular intervals (say 5').  Think of each buss as beginning to look like a ladder, with the rungs being the interconnects and the feeders running from one side of the ladder to the rails; really, this is an extension of the rails-parallel-to-the-bus wires anyway, now we just have three parallel paths.

Does anyone see a serious gotcha with this?  I don't see one, as long as the A and A' wires, and the B and B' wires, stay in reasonable proximity.  It's not ideal, but it is a lot less work than a complete rewiring, especially as some of his feeders are darn near inaccessible.

Thanks for any suggestions

Blair