Re: Automated 'Block' Entry

Jan Boen

Hi Tony,

It's impossible to tell you exactly what to do as that is completely depending on your set-up.
It starts by understanding what you have and what you want to do and start with  the basics.
Control your turn-outs, get block detection up and running once that is working go to automating series of turnouts and look at automated braking etc.
The end state will be defining trains and routes and have them run automatically but it will take you time to get into the subjects.
Block detection is dependent on what you want to do so you must have a plan...
Alas what you're venturing into is pretty technical and requires understanding and a plan.
It's not rocket science but unless you understand what you're doing you will end in a swamp and you get disillusioned and will drop it.
If you find a magic short cut to get to great results I will gladly learn from you :-)

Railcom = http://www.dccwiki.com/Term:Railcom and http://www.esu.eu/en/support/white-papers/railcomplusr/

Good luck,

Jan

On 25/08/2017 17:58, ANTHONY DALILEO bklyns_baseball_club@... [WiringForDCC] wrote:

I am trying to understand what to do. I have read a bunch of stuff from jmri documentation but still have no understanding of how it will work or what to do. I am already connected via rockets interface and have tried the programming language. Someone must have programmed this but i have no idea where to find it. I have looked at everything available but still see no way to proceed.

What's railcom+ etc

Tony

On Aug 25, 2017, at 11:47 AM, Jan Boen jan.boen@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

Hi Tony,

Sure it is perfectly possible to automate a complete lay-out using DCC and JMRI (and other protocols) using a combination of block detectors eventually combined with Railcom+ etc.
Start simple though and make sure you understand what you're trying to do.
Don't run before you can walk and you will get there.
Having some understanding about electricity and electronics with a base in computer software will help a lot.
Download some of the JMRI clinics you can find on-line.
Consider using e.g. RR-Cirkits kit and you can count on Dick Bronson to advise you when and if needed.

Best regards,

Jan

On 25/08/2017 16:34, ANTHONY DALILEO bklyns_baseball_club@... [WiringForDCC] wrote:

Does anyone actually know wether you can or cannot automate trains on a layout without using the old technique to doing it for lionel trains which was to sense a train,usually by its weight, and throw relays which shout off the ac power to a block.

Can jmri do it via detection , such as bdl168 boards, and keeping tract of what engine is in what block so it can automatically send signals to decoders to control the following train from entering an occupied block.  Has anyone actually done it?  Is it doable?

Tony

On Aug 25, 2017, at 10:00 AM, railandsail railandsail@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 8:52 AM, dvollrath@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:
This Yahoo account(s) can be SO FRUSTRATING. Many a time it has asked me to log in (even while I thought I had it set up automatically)

So I go to log in and it gives me two choices, 1) add an account, or 2) log out of the account. Well how can I log out of the account if its not recognizing I am logged in?
The I choose the "add Account", and it ask for my email. It displays that email and I choose it. Then it tells me it does not recognize that email?
....round and round this freaking Yahoo site
Brian

PS: While I am venting can someone tell me WHY all crap at the bottom of all messages has to get REPEATED over and over again??