Use of Forward/Reverse button

Brian Lewis

I was watching someone engaged in low speed shunting recently. He was using a NCE PowerPro and instead of bringing the loco to a halt and reversing the direction of travel, he was just pressing the Direction button.

Now my thoughts are that this is bad practice, calculated to encourage back lash on the gear train, to say nothing of the forces exerted on the commutator and thrust washers. But does it go further?  Does this reverse of current cause damage to the decoder? I would be very interested to hear your thoughts upon this practice.
--

Regards and thanks

Brian Lewis