Re: Wire Connectors

Puckdropper

Unfortunately, that's not what I'm dealing with.  I've had great success with a solder pot or really big soldering iron (you want to be able to encapsulate the wire with solder) for stripping magnet wire, but Tomar used a really fine traditionally insulated wire on the signals.  It's finer than my 30 ga strippers will strip easily.  I'm not sure if the solder pot will handle that traditionally insulated wire without big nasty smells.

Good point on the spring-loaded terminals.  They are a trap, that's how they work. :-)  I had planned on one wire to a terminal, as that's all I need.

Puckdropper

---In wiringfordcc@..., <smithbr@...> wrote :

Don

A match will also work for taking the red-orange varnish off magnet wire, if that's what we're dealing with here.  Agreed about the spring-loaded terminals, they're a trap.

Blair

On 17/02/19 15:27, dvollrath@... [WiringForDCC] wrote:

Use fine sand paper or emery cloth to rub off the insulating varnish on fine wires held to a piece of wood. Heat from a soldering iron may also work. Try using a small amount of flux and tinning the wires.

Spring loaded or other terminal strips with internal clamp devices don't work well to join two wires of different diameters. The larger diameter wire takes up the space and the smaller wire is still loose.