Re: Dual guage shinohara turnout wiring using frog jumper

Kurt Konrath

I suggest you go to Fasttrack.com and look at there turnout templates. They show where to gap rails and they have a dual gauge turnout template

Kurt

On Jan 26, 2017, at 11:21 AM, Craig Zeni clzeni@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

On Jan 26, 2017, at 12:17 PM, k atdvollrath@... [WiringForDCC] wrote:

> Ray, the vast majority of forum participants, including me, have never seen one of these dual gage animals. Shinohara might be able to help you best. I would contact them if at all possible for advice. I would expect normal operation of the Shinohara is to power internal rails and frogs via the points. That means that all rails of every route, except the outermost full gage stock rails, will need to be isolated from every rail leading away from the turnout. Shinohara should have already taken care of isolating individual internal rails and frogs as necessary to prevent short circuits... but selectively powered them via the points. Look carefully at the turnout on the bench. Find those isolated sections with an ohmmeter when the points are not touching either rail. Then find a way to re-connect those rail sections with individual Frog Juicers drawing power from the stock rails. The Frog Juicers merely flip and select rail polarity as necessary to supplement that which would be provided by rail points.

My experience with the Shinohara dual gauges turnouts is that the two rails closest together are electrically one. They are not isolated from each other in the turnout. This means it should be treated like any other solid frog power routing turnout. I have not used one on DCC but in DC days we'd put drops on all three rails; the two closest together would be fed from the same power bus. And of course as with any power routing turnout, the frogs need to isolated on the 'two track' side.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC