Re: Dual Turnout Control

dvollrath@...

Jerry,

Paul has pointed to my document showing how to use conventional DC power to control Tortoise machines. Simply reversing the direction of voltage to the motor reverses the direction of the turnout points. It takes either DPDT switches or an SPDT 3-wire connection to a bi-polar power supply to do that. Note that with multiple toggle switches the switch lever positions will NOT necessarily indicate the actual position of the turnout.

A different way to do it if you are using DCC would be to jump to the Team Digital SMD84 or their SRC16 with MotoD, or perhaps an NCE Switch-it. [I have not looked at or used other brands.] Either one of these combinations can be programmed to use external pushbuttons on your panel(s) to set the state of a Tortoise motor. The dual control panel idea then boils down to simply wiring two pushbuttons, one for local and another for remote control, in parallel to the same terminals on the PCB. Pressing either button at either location will activate the Tortoise motor as desired. Either of the devices mentioned can be powered from DCC track or accessory voltage and will also respond to accessory commands from your ‘throttle’ or control station. My preference is the T-D SMD84 as by history it seems to be more trouble free. There is also a relatively simple way to use a single PB to get an SMD84 to ‘toggle’ to the opposite state. I can post that if interested.

There is no need to disable local turnout control if you can trust your operators to always return the Local toggle switch to the ‘safe’ position. With the SMD84 you can simply re-call for the known correct/desired position using a remote path control button.