Re: Booster workload by measuring input?

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

You can get a crude indication of booster load by measuring amps on the input side of the booster. But there may not be a  close correlation between input and booster output amp numbers. The primary booster rating limitation is supposedly on output current (ie – amperes) going to the track. Putting an ammeter on the input wires to the booster is an indication of Power (volts x amps or speed x torque) being consumed. But there usually is temporary energy storage/buffer capacitors inside the booster to accommodate booster output current to circulate. So it is possible for more amperes to circulate between the booster output and track than what appears as amperes on the input side of the booster. Especially true if there is ‘extra’ voltage available to power the booster. Try measuring both at once with a heavy booster load and tell us the results in your particular case.

DonV

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...]
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2016 11:17 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Booster workload by measuring input?

We're using pretty much all Digitrax boosters in the club setup, and I'd like to have a constant, consistent reference to how hard a booster is working.  I would like to know if I need to shift loads or recommend purchasing another booster.

Would putting a standard Ammeter & Voltmeter between the power supply and booster give me a pretty decent idea of what the booster is pulling?  (Most of the digital meters I'm seeing are sold as a combo ammeter/voltmeter.  Just the ammeter would probably be good enough.)  Would I have to apply a corrective factor, or would a, say, 4A measurement from the power supply be pretty close to 4A booster output?

Puckdropper