Booster workload by measuring input?

Puckdropper

We're using pretty much all Digitrax boosters in the club setup, and I'd like to have a constant, consistent reference to how hard a booster is working.  I would like to know if I need to shift loads or recommend purchasing another booster.

Would putting a standard Ammeter & Voltmeter between the power supply and booster give me a pretty decent idea of what the booster is pulling?  (Most of the digital meters I'm seeing are sold as a combo ammeter/voltmeter.  Just the ammeter would probably be good enough.)  Would I have to apply a corrective factor, or would a, say, 4A measurement from the power supply be pretty close to 4A booster output?

Puckdropper