DETECTION BLOCKS - Occupancy Detection

Glenn

Back in the ‘80’s I operated on a layout that had block occupancy indicators. Simplicity at its best.

A bridge rectifier with a 1.5v lamp wired across the bridge. All it was required to do was to light a bulb in the control panel. These were used in tunnels and blind track sections out of the sight of operators.

Could this be used with DCC? Would the 1.5v output light an LED?

Glenn

Sent: Monday, June 27, 2016 21:58
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] DETECTION BLOCKS

I am building a new layout using DCC and want to install signals.  I understand that this requires I set up a detection block(s) for each signal.  Blocks are also set up to distribute power throughout the layout or to add reversing sections. My question involves my confusion regarding how each of these blocks fits together.  I isolate power blocks by cutting each rail going into and out of the block – a total of 4 cuts per block.  I feed power to the block through feeder wires connected to both rails about every 3 feet.  What cuts do I make to set up a detection block? As best I can tell, I only need to isolate one rail for each detection block with a cut on either end and run the power lead to that rail thru the detection circuit with the other rail being powered by the normal track feeder.  Is this correct? I also need to determine the location and length of each detection block – is there a good reference to read to help me there?

Ed Robinson

Join w4dccqa@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.