Re: Scratch built diamonds

David Klemm

Lee/Don,

In my diamonds which are 3 x 5 for 15 diamonds I have a 2 inch buffer around them.  I then have a PSX A-R flipping power on the one side of each direction.  The buffer is needed because if an engine is going East and West then an engine cannot be in the buffer zone for the North and South route.  I can't recall a single instance of an issue with an engine coming in from each direction which would have caused the PSX A-R to flip out.

To add to the complexity, I had interchange tracks on 3 of the four sides connecting the two routes.  I had a dedicated PSX A-R for the diamonds.  I had a second PSX A-R that addressed flipping the power on the interchange track that required it.  

David

To: WiringForDCC@...
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 14:39:54 +0000
Subject: RE: [WiringForDCC] Scratch built diamonds

Lee,

The simple answer is “Yes”. You may have issues with a frog juicer and/or auto-reverser if the entrance and exit paths cross between two different boosters or different circuit breaker limited power districts. Difficult to explain but multiple incident reports of just that. Might have something to do with using single or double or hex juicers, or older units vs newer ‘improved’ designs.

There are a few options: 1) use a crossing with a better design that uses smaller dead frogs. 2) Wire the entire crossing from only one power district and a PSX A-R unit powered from that district. Yes, a train traveling in the other path will momentarily connect the two districts together. 3)  Power the frog areas of the crossing via a DPDT relay triggered to select the proper district source and polarity from approaching train (track occupancy) sensors, or train dispatcher controlled permission operation.

DonV

Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2016 7:20 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Scratch built diamonds

All, I am referencing David Klemm's scratch built diamonds (http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm) he made for his DCC layout.

I fully understand  his diagram, but on our club layout the two tracks that cross are on different power districts.  Will this be a problem in hooking up an auto reverse circuit or a frog juicer?

Thanks much in advance.
Lee

Join w4dccqa@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.