Re: Digest Number 24030

Flash Gordon

At 11:45 AM 1/29/2016, you wrote:

Thanks Don.

I think I will go with the spring switch as the simplest.  Should the frogs be very short and dead or polarity switched somehow? Typical motive power will be 2-8-0s and 2-8-2s or early diesels - RS-3 (Atlas) or GP7/9 (Proto). Or would KAs in the locos make dead frogs moot?

Bob

2a

Re: Digest Number 2400

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:26 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Vollrath, Don" donevol

Sorry. I thought the overhead area was a/the staging area. A ‘squared off C’ sounds like a return/reversing loop or maybe/simply part of the bi-directional mainline. Since operators can always see what is going on and prevent accidents, the spring switch idea is undoubtedly the simplest. Set up the spring switches so that a train arriving from either direction always takes the path to the right. The light spring loaded switch will let the exiting train pass through when going forward… they must not back up. Automatic electric controls to flip the switches depend heavily on the type/brand of switch machine you chose according to your scale. The Hare device, with its auto-flipping and return path timer, may not directly activate the type you chose/select. Peruse the G scale catalogs for options.
DonV