Re: Dual Reverse Loops

Thomas Murray

Thanks Don for the quick response, To clarify #2, both of my loops are at the same end of the layout and are beyond the safe control range (30 ft.) of the  main command booster. Due to space constraints, one loop will sit on top of the other. The set-up is really loop-to-loop instead of point-to-point as stated previously.  I will check out the SMD84. Thanks again.

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10:06 AM, "'Vollrath, Don' dvollrath@... [WiringForDCC]"

4 different subjects & questions.
1.      Having one reversing loop at each end of the layout will work OK without a hitch as long as you prevent trains from simultaneously entering/exiting the staging area loops. However a less costly way than supplying another booster would be to use an automatic electronic reverser (AR), one for each end loop or even one AR unit to simultaneously control both ends, powered from the same booster running the rest of the layout.
2.      I’m not sure what you mean by the loops being ‘stacked’. If there are multiple staging tracks in each loop, simply wire them together  to become part of the whole reversing loop section. Again, no problems if you control and avoid multiple train exit/entrance.
3.      For route control with Tortoise machines use single or multiple output accessory decoder PCB units and macro routes from the master station (if it has them) or select a multiple output accessory controller that has internal route control capability you can activate from DCC commands or panel pushbuttons. See the Team Digital SMD84. There are many other solutions after you determine how you want to control staging.
4.      If the boosters you use have a terminal marked ‘common’ or GND, connect those together. In other units the metal case serves that purpose. Be sure to comply with the manufacturers recommendations regarding the use of the same or separate power supplies for each booster.
DonV

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...]
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 6:28 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Dual Reverse Loops

My layout was a simple oval, but I realized I needed staging. I decided to cut the oval open at one end and add two reverse loops each with three staging tracks to create a point-to-point layout. My plan is to use one DB150 to power the layout up to 29' either side of the booster and use a second DB150 set to auto-reverse to power the loops. My questions are:
(1) Will this set up work as long as I don't cross both reverse gaps at the same time?
(2) Will there be electrical / electronic gremlins due to the loops being stacked?
(3) How can I set up DCC / tortoise turnout routes into and out of the staging loops?
(4) Where should the heavy ground attach to the second Booster. Terminal or case?
Thanks Allen and all supporters of this wonderful DCC site!