Re: Positioning Block Detectors for AIU-01

John Cahill

Thanks Don. That is very helpful! I had been trying to figure out using a schematic diagram but what you suggest tells me distances are critical so would seem I need to figure out rough positions of BDs & AIUs on a scale drawing first. It is good to have a starting point and direction to go in!

Best Regards,
John

On Nov 13, 2015, at 15:29, "'Vollrath, Don' dvollrath@... [WiringForDCC]" <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

John,

The occupancy detectors like the BD20 want to be in relatively close proximity of the track sections being monitored. The output of the BD20’s are low level circuits and subject to electrical noise. But the NCE AIU talks to the command station via the cab bus. And the length of the cab bus back to the PowerPro command station is not that critical.

I would place each AIU unit somewhat centrally located around the cluster of BD20’s it is monitoring, and simply route/wire and daisy chain the cab bus to each AIU.

If you find that there is 1 or 2 BD20’s that end up being remotely mounted from its monitoring AIU, use a twisted pair to wire it back to the AIU to minimize interference. [The BD20 really doesn’t need a power supply for operation. The power supply is there to only light an LED if you think you need it.]

DonV