Re: Shorting across power districts

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

Bill you can verify the booster polarity by placing a small 14-16V lamp across the rail gaps isolating the booster districts. If it lights when placed across gaps in the same rail the polarity is reversed. If no light then polarity is OK. The lamp should light when placed diagonally across the rail gaps when the booster common is connected properly.

DonV

On Nov 27, 2014, at 9:42 AM, wrhastings@...<mailto:wrhastings@...> [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...<mailto:WiringForDCC@...>> wrote:

I'm trying to get our new club layout up and running for an upcoming holiday open-house. The mainline loop is broken into 3 power districts. Each district is fed by a NCE PB-110A booster, through a PSX circuit breaker. Each booster has it's own power supply. The problem I'm seeing occurs when a locomotive crosses these power districts. While the loco is bridging the districts, the PSX's both trip. Pushing the loco past the gaps allows the breakers to reset and the everything is normal. I thought I might have reversed the polarity on one of the districts, so I switched them, but got the same results.

Bill Hastings