Re: programing a decoder thats not in a loco IMHO

rog wro <ksuwildcats2004@...>

Thanks Glenn You kind of hit on what I was wondering about. Not sure if I needed some kind of load (motor) on the decoder for my sprog to be able to talk to the decoder. I am trying to program decoders that I have laying around.  I could open up a loco and put the decoder in it  but that  would take some time . I have a old kato circuit board that has the 8 pin socket on it. I cut away what I did not need and just left the traces on the board I needed. I just think it would be nice to be able to just plug in a decoder and program on the fly.Thanks Glenn

From: "'Glenn' ghazel@... [WiringForDCC]"
To: WiringForDCC@...
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2014 11:44 AM
Subject: RE: [WiringForDCC] programing a decoder thats not in a loco IMHO

It would be better to acquire a wiring harness with an 8-pin female socket. The pre-wired socket makes for a safer connection that to try and keep (assuming) alligator clips from shorting to other pins on the decoder. Pre-wired socket are available, but buy what your DCC source has available. An 8-pin socket attached to a 9-pin plug can have the 9-pin plug cut off.

Baring that purchase an 8-pin socket and wire it yourself. http://www.ulrichmodels.biz/servlet/the-452/8-Pin-DCC-Plug/Detail

Attach the track wires to pins 4 (Black Wire) and 8 (Red Wire).

You will also need a load on Pins 1 (Orange Wire) and 5 (Gray Wire). For a load I use and old can motor with a spoked wheel attached to the shaft. The spokes wheel allows me to see if the motor is running.

You can also use the remaining wires with LED’s / Lamps attached to test those functions.

Glenn