Re: programing a decoder thats not in a loco IMHO

Glenn

It would be better to acquire a wiring harness with an 8-pin female socket. The pre-wired socket makes for a safer connection that to try and keep (assuming) alligator clips from shorting to other pins on the decoder. Pre-wired socket are available, but buy what your DCC source has available. An 8-pin socket attached to a 9-pin plug can have the 9-pin plug cut off.

Baring that purchase an 8-pin socket and wire it yourself. http://www.ulrichmodels.biz/servlet/the-452/8-Pin-DCC-Plug/Detail

Attach the track wires to pins 4 (Black Wire) and 8 (Red Wire).

You will also need a load on Pins 1 (Orange Wire) and 5 (Gray Wire). For a load I use and old can motor with a spoked wheel attached to the shaft. The spokes wheel allows me to see if the motor is running.

You can also use the remaining wires with LED’s / Lamps attached to test those functions.

Glenn