But the most important thing is that the parts to be soldered are clean and mechanically connected. I use a brass brush on my Dremel for the rail.

People that do not allow things like this in their house probably still cook with Teflon coated pans which are even more dangerous to your health.

Ed S

At 05:19 PM 3/21/2014, you wrote:

On 2014-03-17, 7:53 PM, Robert Morrison wrote:

I know some people who will not allow flux in their houses and others who would solder nothing without flux.
I have read tutorials about soldering and the use of flux is either encouraged or not.

I have used Tix Flux for years with no apparent problems, on track and electronic items, like decoders.

So I am turning to this group for some reasoned arguments for or against the use of flux.
What has experience taught you and what has your own research taught?