Re: Hot Snubber

redking56@...

I made my way over to my local Radio Shack today and picked up a capacitor, 0.1 uF,250 WVDC (272-10530 and a pair of resistors, 100 ohm, 1 Watt (271-152).

Since a pair of resistors came in the package, I decided to first replace the 1/2 watt resistor with a 1 watt resistor while keeping the original capacitor.  Result: the 1 watt resistor was red hot.

So, I soldered the other 1 watt resistor to the new capacitor and soldered it in place of the older assembly. The resistor was very warm but not hot so that I could hold onto it between my fingers.

In both cases, the capacitor was cool to the touch.

I went along my layout and examined the other snubbers.  All of the capacitors were cool.  Some of the resistors were cool, some were warm, none was hot.

Thoughts?

Rich