Re: Peco Electrofrog - Adding Gaps

William Teeters <cozyflyr9398@...>

Why cut the gaps?. If you use insulators, on the two inside rails, there is no reason to cut any gaps. The short rails you plan on cutting, will give you nothing but grief as the rails are short in size, and will not stay in place. Ask me how I know. Bill Teeters

To: WiringForDCC@...
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2014 6:32 AM
Subject: Re: [WiringForDCC] Peco Electrofrog - Adding Gaps

OK, let me pose my question again.

I realize that you need to cut gaps on the two inside rails leading away from the frog on a Peco Electrofrog, but my question is why doesn't Peco just cut those gaps when manufacturing the Electrofrog.  Are there situations where you wouldn't cut those two gaps on an Electrofrog?

Rich

---In WiringForDCC@..., wrote :

Yes you have to insulate the two inside rails to keep from shorting out. Just like you would with a Walthers switch. Bill T

Subject: Re: [WiringForDCC] Peco Electrofrog - Adding Gaps

Bill, I am not sure that I understand your reply.  I also have Insulfrogs on my layout, and I am quite satisfied with them.  But, I was asking about the Peco Electrofrog.

Rich

---In WiringForDCC@..., wrote :

Take a good look at the construction. Pretty fragile huh?. I have about 150 Peco Insulfrog switches and quite satisfied with them. Some are ten-twelve years old. Bill Teeters CP&W RR, as seen at RockRail.org

To: WiringForDCC@...
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2014 5:55 AM
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Peco Electrofrog - Adding Gaps

I have several Peco Insulfrogs on my layout, and I understand how they work with their power routing feature and without the need to add gaps to prevent shorts.

I do not have any Peco Electrofrogs on my layout, but I do understand how they work and the need to gap the inside rails leading from the frog to prevent shorts.

My question is this.  Why doesn't Peco just cut those two gaps on the inside rails?  I am trying to imagine a situation in which the Peco Electrofrog can operate without cutting those two gaps.

Can someone enlighten me?

Rich

Join w4dccqa@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.