Re: Gap width vs Scale

Flash Gordon

Len,

Also thinking out loud...

HO scale

I am thinking of a car with metal wheels stopped
on the track. One of the metal wheels is sitting
on the gap. If it touches both tracks it may
cause a problem... maybe with a detection system or an AR.

Filling the gap is probably more important than
the size of the gap. If the gap is open as with
an insulated track connector then the metal wheel
can settle in the gap? If the axle of this wheel
has a resistor on it for detection and the gaps
lineup is another problem to consider.

My thinking is biased by my layout. I have a
large wye feeding a yard; the entire wye and the
yard is controlled by a circuit breaker with a
built in reverser. I have long passenger trains
(lighted but no track pickups). It is possible
for one train to be sitting on one leg of the wye
bridging the gap while another train enters the
other leg. So using belt and suspenders…. My
gaps are the width of a Dremel cut off wheel, insulated and staggered.

Ed S

At 11:08 AM 3/9/2014, you wrote:

Thanks Ed,

You're making me think this out. Lets take a 3
truck/3 motor Shay as an example. All driving
wheels are connected to the track. As the first
pair of wheels bridge the gap, all others are
still on the other side so the gap is
essentially shorted till the locomotive fully crosses the gapped section.

Perhaps I'm answering my own question(thinking out loud). The voltage on each side of the gap
has to equal or a back feed might result. If an
AR is involved it must be fast enough.

This tells me gap width is irrelavent!

Comments from all appreciated,

Len Jaskiewicz