Re: Emergency stop button -- IMHO

Charles Brumbelow

Consider this switch on the wall plug side of the layout. Note that the hot and neutral wires are both connected to the switch itself.

How it works: The "ON" button is a momentary contact, normally open switch which activates a built in solid state relay when pressed. That relay connects the wall plug to your layout. To shut everything down, press "STOP"  which disconnects a momentary contact normally closed switch to deactivate the built in relay.

These switches are sold primarily into the power tool market - table saws etc.

Woodstock D4160 110-Volt Paddle Switch by Woodstock http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005W17HYY/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_1Ncatb0CV9N0N

Charles

On Feb 15, 2014, at 11:32 AM, Ed S <eschwerkolt@...> wrote:

Hi Greg,

i want to turn everything on the layout off with one switch, because of all you mentioned, including dinner.

Let’s go back a few weeks.

Someone posted that a friend had a fire in his basement. The firemen said it was caused by an electrical short in a train layout, the wire along the bottom of the table had heated up (main buss maybe) and started the fire.

The poster wanted to know if this was possible.... after a lot of discussion....  the owner of the layout admitted he had forgot to turn the layout off.

Most likely the main bus was not heavy enough wire to carry enough current to trip the booster. A minor short occurred, probably a derailment.  The owner went to dinner, did not turn off the layout and ……..  smoked the layout.

Since I am older and do dumb things, I thought it was best for me to be able to turn everything off in an emergency or when I leave the room.

So I came up with this Emergency Shut Off Button.  It will work and do what I want it to do.... turn everything off. For quite awhile many have joined in the middle of the conversation and added many great ideas and I thank them all.

Can we STOP now pleaseeeeeeeeee?

Carl, we had those emergency stop button in the school shops where I taught. Probably where I got the bright idea.

Thanks

Ed S

At 11:40 AM 2/15/2014, you wrote:

Hi Gang:

In tool and die trade school they had Master Emergency Buttons several places around the shop. Any one could shut all the shop machines down, only the instructors could turn it back on with a key.

With Digitrax you can unplug the throttle and walk to the next plug in and the locomotive will keep going.

Missing dinner is a major crisis. What is it you wish to avoid? A runaway locomotive, a track short burning up a passenger car, fire in the boosters?

Carl.