Re: new member w/questions

William Teeters <cozyflyr9398@...>

I have 460' of main and a helix. Not one inch is twisted. RR runs perfect. Can be seen on rockrail.org. Featured as Chicago Peoria and Western RR Run with Digitrax, JMRI Decoder Pro, Loconet checker, Ptb100 for setting up those pesky sound engines ect. Trying to twist wire, especially 14G stranded is not an easy job. Do your self a favor and just run straight wire. Bill Teeters

From: Ed S
To: WiringForDCC@...
Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2014 3:53 PM
Subject: Re: [WiringForDCC] RE: new member w/questions

Harry,

Bus wires are to be twisted  3 turns per foot as I recall. #14 1irw minumum.....    Just cut a bigger groove.

Most folks will hang this wire from hooks. Easier to fix or change.

You untwist the bus at the point you add feeders, which could also be twisted.

Ed S

At 02:39 PM 2/15/2014, you wrote:

Hi Everybody,

I posted a question earlier, regarding running power bus and metal shelf brackets. To clarify- I would like to cut a groove in the plywood to run the wire over the brackets and use a piece of rubber hose to prevent any chaffing of the wire's insulation against the top of the bracket. I just think it will be alot easire to cut the groove then drill all of those holes. The 15 brackets I mentioned are only on one section of that level of a three level layout and each bracket is a "U" shape so each hole has to be drilled thru both sides. Thats alot of drilling!

I now have more questions--- My plan is/was to run these grooves directly under the main line, but a few inches apart. If I do that I could drill down for a feeder wire and hit the bus wire. I can take each section of plywood (all 8' or shorter) and turn them over and not work so much from underneath. Each section of plywood will be a sub-bus with a terminal strip and shut off switch (block). It is not meant to be portable. My "plan" is this- lay the track and turnouts on a section, drill the hole for the feeder wires, turn the section over and solder the feeders on to the sub-bus, put a short piece of hose on the bus as needed at each bracket, pass the feeders thru the plywood to the top of the layout, use wire clips between each bracket and tape the wire temporaly in place so it does not get pinched between the plywood and the brackets, wire up the Blue Point turnout controls, turn the section over and solder on the feeders. It seems like everything on a multi level layout is done in reverse!!

And yet, another question-- how far apart should feeders be kept? Not each section of rail but under thae layout?  If I run a bus under the main line and have a passing siding on both sides of the main the feeder wires will have to cross. These wires will be run between the brackets and can be attached directly to the bottom of the plywood, not in a groove cut into the plywood.

Thanks again

Harry