Re: Wiring Setup

Paul O

Although not necessary for a lone operator, I’d divide the layout into 2-3 or 4 electrical sections with insulated rail joiners.

Run a ‘sub-bus’ around these sections and connect each to the main bus; this would aid in troubleshooting and/or expansion.

If you’re running about a 3 amp system you can get away without circuit breakers; above 3-5 amps, electrical sections with breakers would be advisable because the heat generated at a short could be sufficient to cause damage.

Some systems, like the NCE Power Cab, are throttle (cab) and command station all-in-one.

Others have a separate command station that connects to the track and have a cable to connect the throttle(cab) to the command station. There are also wireless throttle-to-command station systems.

Paul O

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of jwjj@...
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:21 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: RE: [WiringForDCC] Re: Wiring Setup

Thanks Paul for modifing the layout so all can see. The detector I was referring to is a circuit breaker. I was in the NEC group and they mentioned it there so I was trying to figure out what they ment. So I don't think I have anymore questions about how it works. I am the lone operator for now but I may buy another cab in the future. As far as power district I don't know. It seems that if it was broken up it would it would be easier to track down shorts since that seems to be the main issue but I don't know. What is best? Is the command station the same as what I am calling the cab? The main controlling unit that runs the locamotives. If so, that is going to be on the bottom (the side where the yards are located).

Join w4dccqa@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.