Re: Emergency stop button -- Annuder Variant

Max Maginness

No idea on the Atlas relay, and no numbers for it on the Atlas site so far as I could find. However two bits of bent brass (?) pushed against each suggest that 1 amp would be ambitious.

For a slightly different purpose (to sequence the power up from a master-slave booster arrangement) I am using a relay rated for 5 amps at 12 volts  (also has a 12 DC coil)  I have some others rated a 8 amps/30 volts. (Omron G5LE-14-AP3) These were from All Electronics some time ago and of course their stock varies but there are similar ones in the listings. Of course for these you need a separate 12 volt supply to keep them energized in normal use and that supply needs to be inherently very reliable …

Max

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of Carl Blum
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2014 7:09 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: RE: [WiringForDCC] Emergency stop button -- Annuder Variant

Hi Max:

I didn't notice the 1 Amp rating. What is the Atlas #200 relay rated for? Anyway the smaller relay can trigger a larger relay or several relays.

Carl.

Sent from my NOOK

Max Maginness <m.maginness@...> wrote:

Nice relay, but the ! amp contact rating is a bit on the low side to interrupt a 5 or 8 amp DCC supply (and yes I know the rating for AC is usually higher than for DC, but in this case the “AC” is switching much faster than for the usual 50/60Hz rating)  Having the contacts weld in an emergency will not help.

Max

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of Carl
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 9:41 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: Re: [WiringForDCC] Emergency stop button -- Annuder Variant

Hello Glenn:

I've used the Atlas Snap Relay and found it overpriced for its "toy" construction. May I suggest commercial relays like this one:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/RLY-565/5VDC-DPDT-LATCHING-RELAY-SURFACE-MOUNT/1.html

Same function but a sealed case with rated contacts, and only $1.

I buy a lot from All Electronics and it is a hoot to visit their store!

Carl.

On 2/13/2014 8:39 AM, Glenn wrote:

On a different take get an Atlas Snap relay (#200) and put it between the system and the track. Place push buttons in appropriate places around the layout.

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 10.0.1432 / Virus Database: 3697/6589 - Release Date: 02/13/14

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 10.0.1432 / Virus Database: 3705/6591 - Release Date: 02/13/14

Join w4dccqa@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.