Re: DCC journey What is best for your Father's Son?

Carl

Hello John:

Let's try again. This 24" x24" module is for home use. Putting the outside track 2" from the edge would give you a 22" radius. The second track less 2.5" would be 19.5" radius, still larger than the 18" radius that comes with sets. Now this doesn't allow for bridge track, but even this bridge track could be curved.

The goal is to help someone have some fun at home. My suggestion was to build small modules and not be stuck with a 4x8 foot table. I built modules for O-27 track ( 13.5 radius ) and put the two mainlines 6" apart. I also displayed them at many train shows including two National Conventions. I do look at the other module set ups for ideas.

Build something. Have fun.

Carl.
Sent from my NOOK

john.p.dunn@... wrote:

Carl,
   A corner has to be a quarter the circumference of the circle (circle of track divided in half). Using the inside corner of your 2x2, the largest radius can only be around 20 inches and then only for you track is right on the edge of your modules. A second track would be about 17 inches/ maybe a tight 18, and so on. A 3x3 corner would give you almost a 36 inch radius for the outside track. With a 4x4 foot corner module you would have an 18 inch or better radius near the inside of your 2 foot module.  You could cookie cut the corner to minimize it some, you end up with a 6 sided module.
   For example, HO uses a 2 inch center but it has to increase to 2.5 in a curve because engines and cars hang over. You have to be at least an inch from the edge so if you had two tracks the inside track will be 1 + 2 +2.5 or 5.5 inches which makes the inside radius 24 -4.5 or 19.5 inches to the center of the inside track. You don't want track too close to the edge of any fall unless you plan to put in plastic guards. Graph paper is easier.
   I don't know the spacing of "O", "O-27", or O-N3, but I am sure it is more than double HO.
   I would suggest that you lay out your plan on graph paper, modules lay out nicely on it because the modules all have similar track layouts. Consider another problem or advantage, each module except the corner needs only two legs. When you go to train shows, look up the modular layouts, Ask the members where they screwed up and don't do that.
   Sorry so wordy.
john