Re: Reality Check Needed - See File and/or Read Description

Flash Gordon

Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I understand how a conventional wye would work, but I am far from conventional.

Look in the photo section, if you list the albums by latest first my album should come up first. ( Ed S stuff).

Open the album and look at the "complete layout". At this point let me say my layout is geared to switching and making up trains. It will have two main tracks that will be kept clear while switching is taking place in the yards. DCC made this all possible.

At the bottom is the yard I am talking about. To the left is one leg of the wye and way over to the right is the other leg. You will see that there are two yards involved.

The left one is a passenger yard so I can back passenger cars into a station. The yard to the right is a freight yard for staging.

Neither leg is long enough for a lighted passenger train or a freight train with a lit caboose. Both legs need to lead into the yards so I can clear the main while cutting the cars.

My plan is to put gaps in the wye legs near the main line and consider all that yardage as one district, controlled by a circuit breaker / reverser. ( even a few tail light bulbs in critical areas). I am using an 8 amp booster for the whole layout with 4 amp circuit breakers for the large districts. Most of my engine are very old and some draw near one amp. So a lash-up or helper can draw two or three amps.

Once a train is in a yard, another train can enter the other yard so I could be working a passenger spotting and another person can be cutting freight cars.

I know it looks complicated but like I said I am not a conventional person.

Take a look and let me know if you see any errors in my logic. Next up is a triple cross over using two double slip switches and four turnouts that create another reverse.

Ed S

At 03:08 PM 2/6/2014, you wrote:

<<We all know that if you have a reverse loop, it has to be longer then the
length of a train with lighted cars.>>

<<I have a situation where a yard is part of a wye. This yard will have
lighted passenger cars or a caboose with markers.>>

<<My thinking is to is to isolate the whole yard with the wye and use a
reversing circuit breaker to control it.>>

Ed,

Don V. has given you a couple of good answers, they'll both work just fine.

There are, however, easier ways to handle this situation.

Your thoughts and Don's responses all center around reversing the yard on
that end of the wye.

Depending on how the other two legs of the wye connect with the rest of the
trackage, it may be easier to easier to use one of the other legs of the wye
for your reversing section.

Here's a simple example:

1) take a piece of paper and draw a large circle on it. At 11 o'clock and 1
o'clock, sketch in the two turnouts that split off the main and lead to the
yard you describe. Bring them down into the center of the layout, bring
them together at the third switch of the wye, and draw the yard below that.

2) Let's call the turnout at 11 o'clock turnout "A", the turnout at 1
0'clock "B", and the turnout that leads into the yard proper "C".

3) Cut double gaps between turnout "A" and "B" and "A" and "C", just to the
right of the frog of turnout "A".

4) Now move one train length counter clockwise from turnout "A" and place
another set of double gaps there. The length of track from this set of gaps
clockwise toward the two sets of gaps just beyond turnout "A" is your
reversing section. It's one train in length, and the resulting gaps are not
likely to be violated by another train.

Take the time to sketch it out - it works pretty good.

Best regards,

Steve Haas
Snoqualmie, WA

_