Re: Reality Check Needed - See File and/or Read Description

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

Rick,

You have done well to draw out the track plan using different colors to identify rail polarity. Note that one must traverse both the A and B double crossovers in order to reverse the direction of a train. It looks easier to me to isolate the polarity reversing issue at crossover B.

1.       At crossover B Provide isolating joiners at both frog rails on both of the lower turnouts leading to the diamond. The upper turnouts and the diamond of B remain fixed at the polarity of the outer loop.

2.       Determine the maximum length of a train. Follow the inner loop tracks of the figure 8 from crossover B about that same distance in both directions from B. This is where you need to place additional isolating joiners or gaps on both rails for the minimum practical length of auto-reversing track.

3.       Going CW from B, I would put insulating joiners at the point end of the siding turnout at the 6 o’clock position of the loop. If that is not far enough from B, put them at the point end of the three-way turnout, keeping the lower turnout and siding as part of the isolated loop.

4.       Going CCW from B, I would place isolating gaps past the overpass, maybe near the 5 or 6 o’clock position of the left loop of the figure 8… or even at the turnout near the 10 o’clock position.

5.       That isolated track segment, including the two lower turnouts at B, form the polarity reversing section. Wire those tracks to the AR-1 auto-reverser.

6.       All other tracks on the layout including crossover C are constant polarity. Be sure to provide plenty of track droppers for adequate DCC connections.

You could interlock the double crossovers of A and B, but it is probably not worth the effort. That would also prevent the opportunity of a long continuous single train run overall of the mainline tracks in both directions.

For simplicity I recommend providing a single PB or toggle switch to select ‘straight’ or X-over for all 4 motor controlled turnouts at each of the double crossovers. Then there is no need to fiddle with multiple switches.

If you plan on multiple operators. It might pay in the long run to further isolate the figure 8 loop into two pieces by adding insulating joiners at B on the straight track between the two lower turnouts. For now wire those tracks up to the single AR-1. But in the future you may want to add a 2nd AR-1 for independent multiple train operations at the industry tracks while another train uses the overpass. You may also want to isolate the yard under the overpass from the A crossover, and feed it via an electronic CB protected district.

DonV