Re: Coach Lighting

Flash Gordon

Dick,

You just made life a whole lot easier. I have to try that out. Gleaning those "Current Limiting Diodes" from the cheap led tapes would be worth it. I think you could just cut the tape around the "CLD" and use as is.

Ed S

At 06:44 PM 2/3/2014, you wrote:

I have used these strips to light several HO coaches.
Added a resistor to control the lighting brightness a bit. No rectifiers or regulators. These are in waltzers cars with all wheel pickup.
No issues with flickering, or back voltage on DCC.

I have also taken a few LEDs from strips for other applications, and, in a frugal manner, saved the "resistors".
After some of the comments I decided to test these "resistors" and found they appear to be current limiting diode packages.
In one direction they indicate about 5k resistance and in the other direction infinite resistance.
Are these the illusive current limiting diodes we have been looking for for other single LED installations?

Dick Sutcliffe
General Manager
Bradley, Roger & Tidewater Rwy.
Cariboo Traction Company