Re: Coach Lighting

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

John, Your initial description indicates that you may be using ‘miniature rectifiers feeding LED strips’. If you use a full wave (4 diode) rectifier circuit between track pick-up and the LED strip you already have what is required.. except adding of a resistor to vary the brightness. What can also be done to help reduce flicker is to provide a carry-over storage capacitor. Circuit wise this means to add a relatively large capacitor, rated for 25V and several thousand microfarads, using a 100 ohm resistor to limit charging current from the rectified track voltage and a diode connected to supply current from the capacitor toward the LED strip through the brightness adjusting resistor. This may be enough to eliminate annoying flicker.

DonV

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of John Cahill
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 1:31 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: Re: [WiringForDCC] Coach Lighting

Thanks, Don.  Does it matter which direction the diode faces?

John C

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 6:59 PM, Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...> wrote:

Don’t forget to include a diode to protect the LED strip from reverse voltage. (if it doesn’t already include a rectifier.) Use a single resistor to limit current and brightness.

DonV

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of John Cahill
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 12:25 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Coach Lighting

Hi! I am investigating the multiple possible methods of lighting coaches/carriages on my HO NCE controlled layout.  I have tried Flicker Free, which works fine.  I have also built small circuits using miniature rectifiers feeding LED strips.  In order to light my entire collection using any of these methods, a significant investment in time and electronic components would be required.  I have tried a small experiment using direct DCC track power to light a short strip of LED lights and found it worked fine, especially with the addition of a 1K resistor in series in the circuit.  Is this approach too simplistic or am I missing something?  Any comments appreciated!  Thanks in advance,

John Cahill

Join w4dccqa@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.