Re: Coach Lighting

Flash Gordon

Max,

Thanks that makes sense. I will include a diode if I decide to power LEDs from the track.

Ed S

At 10:14 PM 1/29/2014, you wrote:

LED's will stand only a few volts (5-7) in reverse from the normal polarity for lighting them. If on DCC they are under reverse voltage half the time. If you have 2 or 3 in series the reverse voltage might divide evenly, but very unlikely, so it's best to prevent stressing the LED's by adding a regular diode as well. These are usually have minimum reverse rating of at least 59 volts so more than adequate for DCC track voltage levels. And yes someone may be using them without diodes and so far nothing happened, but that's no substitute for a little proper engineering.

Max