Re: Coach Lighting

Max Maginness

LED’s will stand only a few volts (5-7) in reverse from the normal polarity for lighting them. If on DCC they are under reverse voltage half the time. If you have 2 or 3 in series the reverse voltage might divide evenly, but very unlikely, so it’s best to prevent stressing the LED’s by adding a regular diode as well. These are usually have minimum reverse rating of at least 59 volts so more than adequate for DCC track voltage levels. And yes someone may be using them without diodes and so far nothing happened, but that’s no substitute for a little proper engineering.

Max

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of Ed S
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:03 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: Re: [WiringForDCC] Coach Lighting

So why do you need another diode in the circuit being discussed?

Ed S

At 09:21 PM 1/29/2014, you wrote:

Yep led is a diode ... Light Emitting Diode.
Andrew wood
Maffra, Victoria

On 30 Jan 2014, at 12:38, Ed S < eschwerkolt@...> wrote:

Aren't LED's actually diodes? I do not power anything from the DCC power so I don't know how it would work.  I am greedy and don't want to share it with the locos's.

I use a separate DC bus for accessories. I want it to be clean because I also power some electronics.

Ed S

No virus found in this message.