Re: DCC Track Design for review

Bernie Halloran

George,
To answer your question, stick your head out your window tonight and look up.  That pulsating dinner plate looking thing hovering over your house is providing power to your layout, not those two wires.

When it returns to deep space, you'll be in deep trouble.

Bernie Halloran
NYK&W

On Jan 24, 2014, at 18:21, "george hohon3" <hohon3@...> wrote:

Just a comment . . . And much to my surprise, a true story.

A couple years back, I started a new layout and made the decision it would DCC throughout.  It's relatively small, a HO double deck plan in 12' x 14' extra bedroom.  I studied all the files, went to DCC clinics at a number of conventions, and built the layout using the recommended wiring practices.

Upon completing the track work, which includes a twelve track fiddle yard, multiple DCC friendly  turnouts, cross-overs, and sidings, I was tickled pink that first train navigated every inch of track without so much as a hiccup.

Jump ahead a couple of years and I'm facing an expansion of the layout into an adjacent room.  A review of the wiring was needed and during that exercise I discovered I did not complete all the recommended wiring practices, as stated by "the experts" from a couple of years back.

My discovery?  Well, much to my surprise (even though the entire layout had a main power bus under every foot of length) . . . There was only ONE pair of track feeder wires powering the entire layout!  One and only one.  Two years of running multiple trains and never a power problem.

We're the experts wrong?  Or was I just lucky?  Or what?  I doubt a specific answer will ever present itself, and I'm sure there will be opinions galore.

As for me and the layout and the discovered omission . . . I say I'll let this sleeping dog rest where he is and do nothing to upset him.

My conclusion to all of this discussion is this . . . DCC is the simplest wiring required for any model railroad.  As long as you don't over think it.  Like they say, "KISS!"

George

On Jan 24, 2014, at 12:19 PM, "Ed S" <eschwerkolt@...> wrote:

Chuck,

That link did not work for me but I did find the pdf in the file
section once I got the correct name.

Final Layout for review.PDF

Looks good to me, very similar to a layout I am building.

Ed S