Re: 10 Amp Vs 5 Amp Vs 3 Amps for your layout.

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

Mark,

Your synopsis for power supply amps is good for starters. Include S scale in the 5 amp group and O scale with the 10 amp G scalers. Obviously it is not just the scale, but the physical size of the layout and how many trains you intend to run at the same time that determines the need for power and long voltage loss wiring runs.

For your 21 x 60 ft around the room layout, I would split it up to use two 5 amp boosters rather than a single 10 amp unit. Divide the layout into two equally sized booster districts and place each booster roughly midway between the ends of each district to minimize the wiring distance from booster to track droppers. Use 12-14 ga DCC bus wiring. Splitting the booster districts into several circuit breaker protected power district sub-buses to isolate switching areas from main lines is also a good idea. Three 5 amp boosters would be overkill for N scale as you will not need that much power.

DonV

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of marcdecapri@...
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:03 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] 10 Amp Vs 5 Amp Vs 3 Amps for your layout.

Hi all, 

I have more complicated questions... But first I believe we need to agree on some facts, which I am honestly hazy on.

===

First > Depending on your scale > Which amperage is needed and optimized?

Nearly guessing here...

3 amps for N Scale

5 amps for HO Scale

10 Amps for G....

? Or is this even applicable today.

===

Here is the other shoe to drop.... If I have a large layout of over 400 square feet of track stretched around a 21 x 60 foot rectangle. Would it be best to start off at 10 amps and hope the power gets all the way around or use small 3-5 amp boosters for a N Scale layout expecting to run upwards of 12 trains at a time.

Thank you for listening,

:)) Mark

Join w4dccqa@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.