Re: DCC Wiring - Can it cause a fire?
On Jan 21, 2014, at 11:52 AM, Robert Morrison wrote:
The only time you will get heat is if there is a short circuit that fails to trip any DCC circuit breaker or booster. Hence the purpose of the coin short circuit test which makes sure the resistance in the wiring is low enough.
If there is a highly resistive connection somewhere in the wiring that is more than about 2.8 ohms when using a 5Amp booster and there is a short circuit on the track, that resistive point is where all the heat will be because the booster will not have shutdown but instead deliver full power.
DCC Website & NMRA DCC Clinics: www.markgurries.com