Re: DCC Wiring - Can it cause a fire?

Robert Morrison <Robmorrison@...>

Good idea about the lighted switch for layout power circuits. I did this at my old home, but not yet at the new one.
Of course, since most of my locomotives have steam sound decoders, there is enough noise to alert me when I leave.
Nevertheless, my next project is to get a circuit with a lighted switch at the entrance to the layout.

I use 20 AWG wire for the drops to every piece of rail, no drop is more than 12 inches long.
Joiners are for rail alignment only.
Main power bus is 12 AWG.
All sections of the layout do trigger the circuit breakers when shorted with a quarter or screw driver.

An idea:
After the layout power is on for a while, go around feeling the wires, especially the drops and solder joints for heat build up.
That might tell you if there is a greater potential for fire.

What do you think?

Rob