Re: DCC Wiring - Can it cause a fire?

george hohon3

Re-wired the new layout with a lighted, main power switch. Located at the door entering the layout. One look at that switch and you know immediately if the room is "powered" or not. Single best improvement I ever made to a layout. I never leave the area without knowing.

George

On Jan 20, 2014, at 2:28 PM, "rheroux@..." <rheroux@...> wrote:

Lets all face it... When not running your railroad.... Turn the power off..... I do...

Just my two cents....

Bob

On Jan 20, 2014, at 2:07 PM, madog <@BillK> wrote:

WOW!
Thanks for that tid-bit!!!!
Bill Kozel

From: David Heine
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2014 2:28 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: RE: [WiringForDCC] DCC Wiring - Can it cause a fire?

In general, a circuit breaker doesn’t know the difference between 5 amps of load, 5 amps caused by a short with the current limited by inadequate wiring, or 5 amps caused by a higher impedance short that limits the current to 5 amps by itself. In this case, I would suspect a short with inadequate wiring or some sort of higher impedance short.

I knew better, but on a previous layout, I let my track laying get ahead of my wiring. I had about 25’ of track (50’ of Code 70 rail) beyond the last set of track feeders. I was test running an engine, it derailed and caused a short. Because of the resistance of all the rail, the current level was held below the value for the protection to trip the power (5A). I had to shut off the power manually. The short was on long enough to melt the Kadee coupler box on the tender of a brass locomotive.

Dave Heine

Easton, PA

Madogbill><>
<comp2small.png>