Re: Sub Bus "beyond" Main Bus

Anthony Ashley <anthonyashley@...>

Dear Chris,

Your layout sounds very similar to mine. Mine is called Welsh Dragon rail is 35feet by 15 feet and is in N gauge. I spent 12 months planning and have built the boards for approx 1/6 of the layout. It has taken me 4 months of emails and research to sort out the electronics, which I think i have now cracked.

I have a thread at the following which you may be interested to look at as I have been asking many questions similar to your own over the last 4 months.

The thread is at :

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71151-north-welsh-coast-railway-welsh-dragon-rafor bothil/

You will find my wiring diagrams toward the end of the thread. I have slightly modified them and can send them to you in a more readable format if you wish to see them.

From my  research the sub bus and bus should be no longer that 30 feet in length. In addition I have read that there is a need to twist the pairs of wires  3 times every metre. It cann’t hurt to do this and is supposed to assist with impedance. You should also terminate the wires using a resistor between the wire pair to terminate them.

You may find the following web site very useful as I have used it extensively:

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm#a52

I contains much info on wiring and electronics.

On my layout I am having approx 7 power districts and 35 sub districts. Each sub district will have an on/off switch to isolate the sub district to assist with fault finding on the large layout. In addition every track will be wired into a terminal block so that I can disconnect any track to isolate faults.

If you wish to talk further please send an email and I can assist further if required.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley