Re: tortoise switch machines vs peco point motors

Bill Wilken

Don,

I agree with your assessment of Tortoise reliability.  Getting them properly aligned under a thick roadbed, however, is another matter, although I will admit that I have not tried the thicker wire that you suggest.  What would help enormously is an off-the-shelf mounting bracket that would make it easy to adjust the position of the motor without having to move all four mounting screws.  I've also noticed that the performance of the units varies at least a bit with the design of the turnout.  While I like the appearance of my #10 Shinohara units, getting them to work smoothly with Tortoise motors often takes a bit more work than, say, my Atlas #8's.

Bill

On 01/07/2014 12:26 PM, Vollrath, Don wrote:

The Peco point motor is a snap-action  twin coil machine that requires a momentary (pulse) of high current to flip the turnout points. It can be wired for AC or DC activation and is similar to the Atlas twin-coil unit. The electric control mechanism and switch must be able to supply relatively high current (an amp or so) and must be momentary or the coil will burn out. Most folks would use a CD (capacitive discharge) type control unit… either home-made or commercially available.  The Peco motor is not very friendly with thick sub-roadbeds as the mounting alignment of the actuating rod is fairly critical for reliable operation. See http://www.mrol.com.au/Articles/Electrical/PecoPointMotorsAndSwitches.aspx and http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/744/t/171710.aspx.

The tortoise machine is a slow motion motor requiring DC current of only 8-10 milliamps of current for operation. One simply changes the polarity of DC motor power with a simple low cost electric switch and wait for a few seconds for the turnout position to change. It is a fairly bulky unit to fit under the layout roadbed but alignment is not overly critical. A simple elongated hole under the throwbar is all you need. However, you may need to remove the throwbar spring on Peco turnouts to work with Tortoise motors, even after replacing the actuating wire with a stronger larger diameter wire from the hardware store. Tortoise machines are very reliable. And as you point out below, it already contains an internal DPDT switch to use for frog power or other signaling.

Either type can be activated with a DCC accessory decoder… but it takes a different style decoder/controller to work with the two different point motor types. The Team Digital SMD82 is capable of individually controlling either type of up to 8 turnouts.

IMHO You get what you pay for.

DonV